• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Xeon (p4DCE) Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MSFE

I recently built my own Dual Xeon (SuperMicro p4dce+, 2x2.2 Xeons, 2GIGs PC800 RDRAM).

I am a newbie to building and BIOS so pardon my lingo or lack thereof;

In the BIOS, the CPU Clock Multiplier is defaulted to 8 (it goes from 8 to 23). My understanding of P4s was that you multiplied by 400, so you would actually need a multiplier of 5.5. But seeing as this starts at 8, maybe SuperMicro does things differerntly? Anyway, a little leery of popping up to 22 since I don't want to accidentally burn out two $750 CPUs.

Also, I did benchmakrs on the ram, my PC800 scored far less than the default PC800 ram in integer scores.

Any BIOS assistance appreciated!

Thanks!

wrong

The front side bus is actually a quad pumped 100Mhz bus(100x4.) Therefore, the CPU speed is 100x the multiplier, not 400x. I wouldn't worry too much about that setting anyway, as you can't change it. No matter what the bios defaults to, or what you set it to, it is locked in the chip, and bios settings won't have any effect. This is unless of course you have an unlocked engineering sample, which I doubt. Sorry!

So basically 22x100 I want to see some benchmarks on that rig. Wow it must be really sweet. I wish I had $5000 for all that.

MSFE said:
I recently built my own Dual Xeon (SuperMicro p4dce+, 2x2.2 Xeons, 2GIGs PC800 RDRAM).

Also, I did benchmakrs on the ram, my PC800 scored far less than the default PC800 ram in integer scores.

Your RAM is registered/ECC. It takes X% hit for error correction in comparison to vanilla RAM.

Re: wrong

hoytron said:
The front side bus is actually a quad pumped 100Mhz bus(100x4.) Therefore, the CPU speed is 100x the multiplier, not 400x. I wouldn't worry too much about that setting anyway, as you can't change it. No matter what the bios defaults to, or what you set it to, it is locked in the chip, and bios settings won't have any effect. This is unless of course you have an unlocked engineering sample, which I doubt. Sorry!

Well, that would be true if these weren't Xeons. I don't know for sure about the newer Prestonias but on the Fosters the multipliers are indeed unlocked downward. That means that unless he sets his multiplier at 22 in the bios, his processors might run at 800Mhz instead of the correct speed. My 1.7Ghz Fosters will run at any multiplier up to 17. Again, it's possible that Intel could have changed this with the newer Prestonias, but all of the Fosters are unlocked downward.

Re: Re: Dual Xeon (p4DCE) Help?

Dark Illusion said:

Your RAM is registered/ECC. It takes X% hit for error correction in comparison to vanilla RAM.

True, while you eill take a performance hit the system will be far more reliable and more likley to be a good overclock. Keep the ECC enabled, the performance hit is worth it.

Back