• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Which CPU to choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAL22

Hi,

I recently started playing skyrim and I realized that my old phenom 9750 was getting old since I'm getting really low FPS when fighting a dragon along with some enemies around. So I'm considering buying a new system but I dunno which CPU to buy...

Since bulldozer CPUs are crap. Should I get a phenom II, sandy bridge or just wait for ivy bridge?

You can hardly go wrong with a SB for gaming, and IB probably won't bring that much to the table for you unless you have other uses for it. For around $200 i5-2500k seems to be the sweet spot for gamers right now.

I don't really like Intel's prices but I haven't used an intel CPU since the pentium 4 and AMD motherboards are cheaper. Same thing goes for the phenom II 975.

Thuban is pretty much the way to go right now with AMD. Deneb is now out of production so those CPUs will start to disappear soon. If you want to do a low cost build grab a 1075T or 1055T. If you want to play around a lot with your system go with the 1090T or 1100T.

i play skyrim on my 360 but i'm sure my phenom ii x6 1100t would be able to handle it ok with the right graphics card. however, for like 20 or 30 dollars more that i5-2500k gives you a lot of performance boost. definitely worth it, even if the mobos are a bit more expensive than AMD motherboards.

What motherboard are you running?

If you need to buy a new motherboard then you might as well go intel.

Intel i5 2500K
Asrock Extreme 3 Z68 Mobo
2x4GB RAM of whatever.. (G skill ripjaws are good value).

Would set you back about 400?

But that being said; what GPU are you using? Skyrim benefits from a good CPU no doubt; but if your GPU is slow as well, perhaps that could be replaced first?

^ i would go with the above and just to extinguish your worries, you should go with Intel if you are going to go with gaming and don't plan on upgrading. If i am not mistaken there is a lot of room for OC'ing on the SB unlike the AMD which doesn't have that great of room fro overclocking. So for long term go with the SB then overclock it when it starts running slow

I agree with Dolk, a Phenom II is a much better CPU then the old one and will bring your FPS up provided your GPU is good, an x6 or even an x4 some how is better then an FX-8150 (it boggles the mind) if you have an AM3 MOBO its worth picking one up 2'nd hand?

As for future proofing, or if you need a new MOBO, or your thinking of a more substantial upgrade for gaming Intel is the way to at the moment, an i5 2500K will be good for the mid term, in another year or a bit more there will be new tried and tested CPU's from both.

What GPU are you running?

Hi,

I recently started playing skyrim and I realized that my old phenom 9750 was getting old since I'm getting really low FPS when fighting a dragon along with some enemies around. So I'm considering buying a new system but I dunno which CPU to buy...

Since bulldozer CPUs are crap. Should I get a phenom II, sandy bridge or just wait for ivy bridge?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_CPU_Scaling/16.html

Wait for ivy bridge. That should push down the prices of everything. Then go for a 2500k.

Back