• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I have a memory problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Renee

Registered
I have a new 3960X, supposedly with 16 gigs of memory on a new Sabertooth board. But windows 7, Sp1 only shows 12 gigs running along at 664 mhz although I purchased expensive XMS memory. MSinfo32.exe shows both 12 and 16GB of memory depending on where it's looking (my surmisal).

Does this sound like a problen to any one? It does to me....

Renee

Last edited by a moderator:
What version of Win7 are you running, and what's the exact model of RAM installed, including the exact quantity? Also post pic's of CPU-Z open to the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs.

Im running sp1 of the RTM. I wish you hadn't asked me about the memory because I've forgottem. I know it's high speed XMS. Is there a wat to telll?

Renee

Is it windows 7 32bit or 64 bit and is it home basic, premium, ultimate pro etc...

Go here to get CPUZ http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

After you install it, reply with screen shots of the memory tabs.

You could just turn your computer off and pull out of the sticks of memory and write down the model number from the side.... :)

I have CPUID installed. I will have a little difficulty with the memory as I'm a lmost an invalid from a hit and run by an illegal alien. I will be right back with the CPUID shots in a moment. It is 64 bit Windows 7.

Oooohs wow1 We need to have the images already on the net?

Renee

Hmmm. I don't know where to put an image to get it on the Net.

But that's ok I think....my memory is rated at 664 mhz which is little bit of a disapointment. The memory is corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9.

Renee

Your memory is 800Mhz.... (see the end says 1600? Thats 800Mhz..your system has set it up at 664 and needs changed).

If you go to 'Advanced' in your replying posts; you will find a little paper clip in the menu bars. Use the paper clip to attach a file from your computer. =). 664 mhz x2 is what your memory is running at. DDR = Double Data Rate. So if CPU-Z or what not says 664, it's actually running 1328 (basically 1333 mhz RAM) which is fine.

Though it's strange you only see 12gb.. Windows 7 Home Premium is, however, limited to 16GB of RAM. but it shouldn't cause an issue actually running 16GB. (This also assumes you're running HP 64 bit)

Im running Ultra, not home premium. let me attemp to get that photo up.

Renee

Your RAM is setup fine.. (well, looks that way to me.. ) Ultra? What's ultra? There's Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate? XD.

Your CPU looks fine too; doing its job utilising speedstep.. Still odd you have that issue. I honestly don't know. :\. Does the Sabertooth have a memok! option on the motherboard? Could try using that to see if it's related to the Bios (assuming it has it...)

Well thanks. I assume the board has a defective memory connector.
How do I set the memory up? By by way I am running 64 bit Ultimate.

The memok had not occurred to me. Let me read on that.

Renee

I just checked and found out where the Memok button is.

How do I set the memory speed physically? This board does have an advanced BIOS if I need it.

Renee

Your BIOS should have a setting for XMP settings... use that to get your RAM where it needs to be.

Let me try that. I'll be back in about 30 minutes.
Renee

Doesn't XMP settings require the RAM she has to be on the QVL? (I'm not sure if this is how it works; please correct me if I'm wrong).

Mjolnir - I hope you receive an answer to that.

Ok, I hate to say this but I think the memory turned itself up as I rebooted but I'm unsure of that. For the first time, I think I saw an indication that the memory in question is not logically attached to the cpu in CPUID.

Renee

Last edited:
Doesn't XMP settings require the RAM she has to be on the QVL? (I'm not sure if this is how it works; please correct me if I'm wrong).
I dont think so, no... XMP timings are on the sticks and the bios just reads the sticks.

QVL lists mean NOTHING outside of that company tested those sticks in this board. Thats it. Nothing more.

Back