• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy predicted to go out of business

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wathnix

Last edited:
While I don't buy a lot of stuff at Best Buy, it is nice to be able to drive somewhere and return an item if it breaks. I can walk out with a new one in hand rather than shipping it in.

While I don't buy a lot of stuff at Best Buy, it is nice to be able to drive somewhere and return an item if it breaks. I can walk out with a new one in hand rather than shipping it in.

Agreed.
I got one 2 miles from the house. It can be convenient at times.
Had a case fan go out, within 1 hour I had a new one cooling the case.

I second this. Best Buy may have s___ the bed this past Christmas, but I like being able to walk into the store and compare things physically. Also nice to buy games/software and have a hard copy.

I have picked up a few things from them (ok a lot of things), hell I worked for the precursor to the Geek squad for awhile.

One of the reasons I quit was because I was threatened with a write up because I didnt sell the 70+ year old couple a new computer and instead sold them the RAM they needed and a hard drive to replace their failing one. I was written up for my outright refusal to charge for services unless the customer told me that they didnt want them.

Best Buy has NEVER gotten around the concept that a happy customer will come back and bring friends, a pissed off customer wont. Dont BS your customer and try to sell them 10 things they DONT need for a single sale. I had a few customers who would not even talk to anyone except me, that is from the district manager down to the lowly tech (me).

I have been banned from more than a few Best Buys for interrupting the salesperson and telling the people what they need vs. the salesperson trying to talk them into something 10x what they need. The best one was when I was kicked out for telling the salesperson "Ok please explain to me the difference between this plastic coated wire and the Monster brand plastic coated wire.
"Monster cable is Oxygen free!"
"so is this generic, otherwise it would be copper oxide.."
"Monster cable has better sound transmission!"
"How?"
"Umm well uhh..." "They use higher quality copper and well uhh umm..."
*blink* *blink*
"You dont know do you?" (by this time a small group of people were *not* standing close enough to listen, and none of them were laughing at the salesperson either)
"Sir, can you hold on for a second?"
"sure, go get your boss, Im done shopping anyways."

Other examples of my stopping a BS sale:
No you dont have to replace that Harmony 550 just because you bought a new TV.
No you dont have to replace your receiver simply because it doesnt do HDMI, BUT there are a few caveats to be aware of...
No, you dont have to replace your monitor if you buy a new PC.
Yes, you can easily move your data from your old PC to the new one, it can be done a couple of different ways.

I have had customers who I helped who knows how long ago, stop me and ask me if I have the time to help them with simple things because every blue shirt they asked, all blew them off or mumbled "Im busy"

While I have gotten some outstanding deals from BB, generally I look at them as a "Gotta have it now, and damn the cost alternative." Typically, the sales staff know about as much about what they are selling as I do about the molecular structure of Platypus poison.

If Best Buy want to stay open and in business:
They need to start training their sales staff on the items they sell.
Stop trying to oversell to make a huge one time sell and instead make a happy customer.
Stop trying to sell the warranty, set up, configure, black tie, white glove, clown suit, whatever service and figure out if the customer NEEDS it first. It isnt hard, know what you sell, and ask a few questions.
Dont BS your customers, even the most technically inept customer probably has a coworker, relative, or neighbor who ISNT and WILL tell them they got robbed.
Stop the blatant shill game for certain companies (Monster, Sony)
and ohhh a few hundred other things.

If you looked at some web sites that collected customers complaint and read some of the complaints people left about BB, it'd make your skin crawl and wonder how BB was able to stay in business for so long.

I miss the old day when you could get useful answer if you asked a question. Now day I often get better answer if I used any of the demo computer that has internet access and used Google.

PS I'm still waiting for Kodak branded computer to go with Kodak printer as someone once claimed you must match printer brand to PC.

I used BB as one of those "I need it now" places. Went in for something specific, walked out within five minutes. Looks like I'll make the one hour round trip to MC more often.

But I never had one of those aggressive rep encounters, even when I'm simply walking through the aisles. Last time someone came close was about 6 years ago, got a laptop (was only in the US for a few days so I couldn't order online). Sales rep was pressing a copy of one of those Symantic/Norton all-in-one packages. I simply told him I can get free programs online that were just as good better. Told him a few and he dropped the subject.

Never really blamed the reps on the floor. It's their job. As long as they take a hint and don't follow me around the store, I don't care.

I agree Best Buy is on the way out if they don't wise up. Consumers are shopping smarter and leaner these days. And everyone but EVERYONE knows that Best Buy is full of high-school and college kids who don't know jack -snip- about what they're selling.

I went into Best Buy over the Christmas holiday, twice. Visiting their store at all is usually a painful, hen's-teeth rare occasion for me. On Dec 23rd, at 7PM, the store was absolutely PACKED, shoulder-to-shoulder with customers. There were 6 cash registers, only 2 of which were manned. The line was abysmally long and we had to wind our way through 2 rows of last-minute sell attempts. However, the floor had every pimply-faced kid they could stuff in a blue shirt trying to upsell OR standing around in groups of 2-3 talking to each other and screwing off, while customers tried to make their way around.

The next morning I went in (to buy a 2nd of a product I picked up the night before) at around 10;30AM... maybe 50 customers in the store and all 6 cash registers open. Haha.

Wow... I hate them more every time I am forced to go in there.

They apparently haven't learn from the failures of Circuit City, Ultimate, CompUSA and others... they think they're just "too big to fail."

Please don't bypass the swear filter -- David

Last edited by a moderator:
I have picked up a few things from them (ok a lot of things), hell I worked for the precursor to the Geek squad for awhile.

One of the reasons I quit was because I was threatened with a write up because I didnt sell the 70+ year old couple a new computer and instead sold them the RAM they needed and a hard drive to replace their failing one. I was written up for my outright refusal to charge for services unless the customer told me that they didnt want them.

Best Buy has NEVER gotten around the concept that a happy customer will come back and bring friends, a pissed off customer wont. Dont BS your customer and try to sell them 10 things they DONT need for a single sale. I had a few customers who would not even talk to anyone except me, that is from the district manager down to the lowly tech (me).

I have been banned from more than a few Best Buys for interrupting the salesperson and telling the people what they need vs. the salesperson trying to talk them into something 10x what they need. The best one was when I was kicked out for telling the salesperson "Ok please explain to me the difference between this plastic coated wire and the Monster brand plastic coated wire.
"Monster cable is Oxygen free!"
"so is this generic, otherwise it would be copper oxide.."
"Monster cable has better sound transmission!"
"How?"
"Umm well uhh..." "They use higher quality copper and well uhh umm..."
*blink* *blink*
"You dont know do you?" (by this time a small group of people were *not* standing close enough to listen, and none of them were laughing at the salesperson either)
"Sir, can you hold on for a second?"
"sure, go get your boss, Im done shopping anyways."

Other examples of my stopping a BS sale:
No you dont have to replace that Harmony 550 just because you bought a new TV.
No you dont have to replace your receiver simply because it doesnt do HDMI, BUT there are a few caveats to be aware of...
No, you dont have to replace your monitor if you buy a new PC.
Yes, you can easily move your data from your old PC to the new one, it can be done a couple of different ways.

I have had customers who I helped who knows how long ago, stop me and ask me if I have the time to help them with simple things because every blue shirt they asked, all blew them off or mumbled "Im busy"

While I have gotten some outstanding deals from BB, generally I look at them as a "Gotta have it now, and damn the cost alternative." Typically, the sales staff know about as much about what they are selling as I do about the molecular structure of Platypus poison.

If Best Buy want to stay open and in business:
They need to start training their sales staff on the items they sell.
Stop trying to oversell to make a huge one time sell and instead make a happy customer.
Stop trying to sell the warranty, set up, configure, black tie, white glove, clown suit, whatever service and figure out if the customer NEEDS it first. It isnt hard, know what you sell, and ask a few questions.
Dont BS your customers, even the most technically inept customer probably has a coworker, relative, or neighbor who ISNT and WILL tell them they got robbed.
Stop the blatant shill game for certain companies (Monster, Sony)
and ohhh a few hundred other things.

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD 100%

i work as a geeksquad tech right now... and everything you have said is 100% true, all the management cares about is numbers.... they could simply care less about customer satisfaction.. i am like you were, i will only sell people what they need, and go out of my way to make the customer happy.... i have customers come back JUST to see me.... and probably do more work as the rest of the techs combined. Yet because i dont sell a whole lot directly (cant tell you how many times tho i have made full pc sales without even leaving geeksquad simply due to talking to the customer to figure out what they need)... upper management doesnt like me. And also agreed that the sales floor people dont know **** (there are definitely a few exceptions to the rule) but overall they just push the high end stuff first and go from there.... its quite sickening.

Best Buy is only a "Need it Now" store for me too. And I am glad their Geeksquad prices are so high, since it helps me appear more attractive to co-workers and friends. I personally recommend against them for anyone seeking a career in IT, but would recommend them to those wanting a career in sales.

Back in the days I brought my Dell Dimension 4500S to the Geeksquad to install a PCI VGA card.
I was informed to come back in 2 days and it woud be ready.
2 days later I took it home, plugged it in....and still no screen :cry:
Took it back, Geeksquad informed me to come back in 2 more days.
When I returned in 2 days to pick it up they wanted to charge me again.
I called for a manager and informed him I will be damned if I pay again if it didn't work the first time. He basically called my bluff ( I was desperate and he informed me this was a contract) so I paid additional $27 the second time.

Now I know to install a PCI VGA card is a very simple process that takes maybe 30 minutes max.
Ever since then I don't take anything to them.
If friends and family have a PC issue they come to me since I told them don't go to BB.
Free of charge unless parts are needed.

"First time shame on you, second time shame on me"

Last edited:
I don't remember the last time I actually bought something at Best Buy. We're talking years.

** Oops, nope - not true. I bought a cheap set of speakers so I could install them that day. That was sometime over the summer I think.

I won't miss them and as a GS veteran I can confirm all the other negative things said about their upselling, etc. It's a pitiful way to do business, but it's the American way. Otherwise they'd have been out of business a long time ago. They've positioned themselves in the market to last. I do see downsizing as a possibility but they're not going belly up anytime soon.

BB is a place I go to window shop when I'm especially bored. If I see something I want, I check it against newegg to see if I should buy it now or wait a week for it to be shipped. Sometimes I'll pick up some music CDs or BluRays on sale. I don't spend very much there and only window shop a few times a year.

BB is a place I go to window shop when I'm especially bored. If I see something I want, I check it against newegg to see if I should buy it now or wait a week for it to be shipped. Sometimes I'll pick up some music CDs or BluRays on sale. I don't spend very much there and only window shop a few times a year.
Just don't compare prices with Newegg using the tablets they have on display. They tend to not like that.

Thought about it, never did it. They have many more reasons to kick me out than that. I sort of do what Adragontattoo did. Saved some lady $400 in crap AV/security software at the GS desk. Also got into a bit of an argument about video cards with staff back in the 7xxx days for nVidia. That was pretty fun.

Plus a few other random encounters that I probably won't remember.

Just don't compare prices with Newegg using the tablets they have on display. They tend to not like that.

Ive done it. The local BB started blocking newegg so now if I need to look something up at the egg I have to use the wifi on my cellphone.

Back