• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Avoid Newegg.com gift cards at all cost.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i3order

After ordering from Newegg.com for the last 8 years I believe my patronage has come to an end after the Gift Card nightmare I am currently in. For christmas this year in our annual secret santa exchange with my inlaws, i asked for a Newegg.com gift card. My wifes aunt received my name and purchased a $50 dollar gift card through newegg.com that was supposed to be delivered on the 12/25/2011. After getting back home after a long christmas day (father of 3 kids under 5 yrs) I logged in to my hotmail account to check for my Newegg gift card. Wasn't there, no big deal, it was christmas day and I figured it would probably be a few days anyway. After 3 days and repeated checking of my email I decided to start a live chat with newegg Customer Service. After 20 minutes of chatting with what seemed to be a BOT, I was told that the GC would be re-sent to my email, and that I should give it 30 minutes and check again. 3 hours later, no gift card. Ok, I'll give it 2 more days, no biggie, still no GC. I Chat again with Newegg CS on the 30th with the same result, "We'll resend your GC, please wait 30 minutes and check your email", same result as before. A few days later, I begin to contact Newegg Customer Service via a phone number I found online. I found the Customer Service Rep to be very nice and helpful, her name is "Ellen.E.Pleasant",she claimed the issue would be resolved on the following Tuesday and that she would submit a ticket in case this did not work. I checked my email again today and found no Gift Card. I called Customer service again and spoke to someone else who was unable to find any info on the Ticket # I received from "Ellen" and this time I was told that the E-mail address the GiftCard was being sent to was an entirely different address that the Live Chat CSR was supposedly resending it to in the first 3 chat sessions. Luckily they claim to have been sending it to my Aunt that had originally purchased the GC. Why am I getting two different answers. Has anyone else had any luck getting a GC from newegg, and if so do they send it directly to the purchaser or do they send it to the person to receive the GC?

UPDATE 1/13/2012

After 3 weeks and 7 different time contactinc customer service, my aunt called newegg and they finally sent the Gift Card directly to her. Thanks for the 3 week wait newegg, I missed a sale price on a hard drive I was looking at. Guess I'm switching to Amazon.

Last edited:
When my parents purchased mine for me, Newegg sent it to them as well. I believe it is just the way they do things. Doesn't explain why their CS reps don't know that though :(

Last edited:
The only time I've gotten a newegg gift card was when I bought an Xbox 360 from them. I got a $50 gift card code in my email and it worked great.

Reponse to Gift Card Problem

After reading your posting... I really can't see how any of this is Newegg's fault. Your Aunt was the one that ordered the gift card originally... and it sounds like it was her that made the mistake or error by not providing the correct email address of the recipient. As for you contacting them... since you were not the one that bought it... I can understand them not wanting to deal with you... simply for security reasons. You admitted that it became resolved after she contacted them... so that confirms my theory that only the original purchaser has the authority to contact them.

After ordering from Newegg.com for the last 8 years I believe my patronage has come to an end after the Gift Card nightmare I am currently in. For christmas this year in our annual secret santa exchange with my inlaws, i asked for a Newegg.com gift card. My wifes aunt received my name and purchased a $50 dollar gift card through newegg.com that was supposed to be delivered on the 12/25/2011. After getting back home after a long christmas day (father of 3 kids under 5 yrs) I logged in to my hotmail account to check for my Newegg gift card. Wasn't there, no big deal, it was christmas day and I figured it would probably be a few days anyway. After 3 days and repeated checking of my email I decided to start a live chat with newegg Customer Service. After 20 minutes of chatting with what seemed to be a BOT, I was told that the GC would be re-sent to my email, and that I should give it 30 minutes and check again. 3 hours later, no gift card. Ok, I'll give it 2 more days, no biggie, still no GC. I Chat again with Newegg CS on the 30th with the same result, "We'll resend your GC, please wait 30 minutes and check your email", same result as before. A few days later, I begin to contact Newegg Customer Service via a phone number I found online. I found the Customer Service Rep to be very nice and helpful, her name is "Ellen.E.Pleasant",she claimed the issue would be resolved on the following Tuesday and that she would submit a ticket in case this did not work. I checked my email again today and found no Gift Card. I called Customer service again and spoke to someone else who was unable to find any info on the Ticket # I received from "Ellen" and this time I was told that the E-mail address the GiftCard was being sent to was an entirely different address that the Live Chat CSR was supposedly resending it to in the first 3 chat sessions. Luckily they claim to have been sending it to my Aunt that had originally purchased the GC. Why am I getting two different answers. Has anyone else had any luck getting a GC from newegg, and if so do they send it directly to the purchaser or do they send it to the person to receive the GC?

UPDATE 1/13/2012

After 3 weeks and 7 different time contactinc customer service, my aunt called newegg and they finally sent the Gift Card directly to her. Thanks for the 3 week wait newegg, I missed a sale price on a hard drive I was looking at. Guess I'm switching to Amazon.

Back