• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T ---> 2600K My experience.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sjeremy

Due to a recent unintended upgrade, I felt compelled to finally create an account and contribute a little bit to the OC forums, I’ve been lurking for years.

First off, I have been an AMD fan boy for 13years, since I built my first gaming rig. I have never purchased or owned, or even had in my house an Intel processor before this. Due to my work, I recently had a I7-2600k and motherboard fall into my lap and just out of curiosity I decided to swap out my 1year old OC'd 1090T(4.1Ghz) and see what all the fuss was about with these Sandy bridge processors. I'm playing Starcraft II, Skyrim, and Modern warfare 3 for the most part at the moment. Everything in my rig is the same except the mobo and cpu. GTX470, GTX460 for physX, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, OCZ SSD. I overclocked the 2600k to 4.5Ghz very easily (with OCrs forum help). For SCII with the 1090T I was on high settings at 1920res and would get occasional choppiness/stuttering, even the login screen would chop on occasion. With the 2600k I have everything on Ultra at 1920 and there can be 2000 units(left2die enhanced) on the map and it does not chop or hesitate at all. Same thing with Skyrim, I wasn’t able to max out the video settings at 1920 with the 1090T, with the 2600k and all the video settings maxed out, the game looks so much better that I'm going to have to replay it because of the new CPU. For modern warfare 3, the difference was not as pronounced, but it was evident to me. To AMD’s credit the appearance of Torchlight was not affected by this upgrade (sarcasm).

In conclusion, I still want to be an AMD fan boy but at this point I honestly cannot be. I do not have numbers or FPS’s or pretty charts and I didn’t run any benchmarks, my opinion is based on raw gaming experience, but in my OPINION, there is absolutely positively no comparison between these two processors for gaming. The 2600k is by far in a totally difference class for these games, especially SCII. The difference I noticed for these games was very stunning. Needless to say I now owe my employer $488 as there is no way in the burning depths of hell I will be returning the CPU and Motherboard, or maybe I’ll see if I can trade my old 1090T and mobo straight up.

Good point, I was just not aware of how big the performance gap was. I really did not think the performance difference was going to be as dramatic as it turned out to be.

There's a website called CPUBenchmark.net. It places the 1090T at 6000~ points or so. It places the I7-2600k at about 10k. That's a 66% increase. The i7 is sold for about 77% more. It makes sense :p.

Back