• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brands that you will never buy from again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

does any one have Brands that you will never buy from again

due to anything
IE
crappy products
mistreatment
and so on

i will never buy a ASrock mother board again the MOBO broke 2 times and it was the SAME thing! and not only that i sent the RMA over a month ago and i just got a reply

so i will never but from ASrock again!

anyone else have brands they will never buy from?

Asus, due to having to RMA my G73 three times for the same audio problem and got it back every time still broken. Last time they sent it back without the battery.

due to anything
IE
crappy products
mistreatment
and so on

i will never buy a ASrock mother board again the MOBO broke 2 times and it was the SAME thing! and not only that i sent the RMA over a month ago and i just got a reply

so i will never but from ASrock again!

anyone else have brands they will never buy from?

I won't buy a Samsung HDD. I built a comp for a friend with a 1tb Samsung spinpoint. After a month Windows was popping up errors about the HDD, and the smart thing showed a bunch of errors. RMAd it. Got a replacement fast. I think the one I got back was refurbished. The sticker on the top also had a long hair under it.

Installed that, and within a week it was showing errors then one morning it didn't even recognize the drive.

I know it was just really unlucky and I'm sure if I got one it would work...but I'm never buying a Samsung HDD again :D

Asus-They told me they were replacing a defective mb. They sent me the same broken mb...twice! This is why i always suggest you write down the serial# or take a picture.
PNY-replaced a gpu with an inferior model. Refused to replace it with the model i sent in.
Apacer memory-They replaced four defective 256mb modules with 1 working and three defective modules lol. This is back when a 256mb module of ddr 2700 was roughly $50.

To balance things out ive had excellent CS with EVGA, Crucial, OCZ, Western Digital, MSI, Logitech, Antec and APC.

Nissan - Was treated like crap as a customer and the vehicle is falling apart after only 100k miles.

I'm a bit surprised you say that. I have owned a 2000 Frontier for about 5 years and have been very happy with it. Even though some of the vehicles are probably more prone to issues (Altima and Maxima) I still think they put out a good product.

I'm actually a bit sad that I need to sell my Frontier because I need to buy a pickup with a back seat.

Toshiba - I got screwed out of a $4000 really high end "desktop replacement" laptop for school that got sent in for repairs a ridiculous number of times and had many issues. Thread 1. Thread 2. Thread 3.

Short story: Their warranty is only good for up to the original value of the laptop. So they replace parts that don't need to be replaced (video card died? Let's replace the motherboard, processor, hard drive...) to get it to this limit. Once reached, your warranty is invalid. They also do not honor their "lemon clause" in their warranty because they refuse to close any case that you call about. The ticket I opened in 2006 was still open the last time I called in. And hold times were 45+ minutes and there was a 50% chance after that wait that the call got dumped, you got dead air or went to voicemail. Absolute garbage support.

Directron:
They shipped the wrong parts (stuff not even close to what I ordered), forgot parts, and when I called to ask about the missing/wrong stuff, I was basically accused of being a thief. After a couple more calls, they shipped me the parts and once !I! Shipped the wrong parts back at my cost, they shipped the missing parts.

At this point, they could be the only retailer selling the final part I need and I would still refuse to even browse their site...

Gateway:
(now) ex-fiancee decided she wanted a computer that I wasnt allowed to touch. She bought it from them, and a few weeks later, it literally caught fire (fireworks, smoke, and flame). I took it to the Gateway store for repair and after a couple weeks, an escalating ignore (tech, his boss, his boss, store manager, all the way up to regional manager), I get a call telling me to come get the system. It wasnt fixed and I was provided a BS excuse and nothing else.

Once they dug the full tower out of the wall I heaved it through, they were told to keep it. It wasnt coming back in the house and since they decided to not honor their warranty, I felt no need to keep the system nor pay the remaining balance.

They REALLY didnt like that.

Last edited:
Gateway:
(now) ex-fiancee decided she wanted a computer that I wasnt allowed to touch. She bought it from them, and a few weeks later, it literally caught fire (fireworks, smoke, and flame). I took it to the Gateway store for repair and after a couple weeks, an escalating ignore (tech, his boss, his boss, store manager, all the way up to regional manager), I get a call telling me to come get the system. It wasnt fixed and I was provided a BS excuse and nothing else.

Once they dug the full tower out of the wall I heaved it through, they were told to keep it. It wasnt coming back in the house and since they decided to not honor their warranty, I felt no need to keep the system nor pay the remaining balance.

They REALLY didnt like that.
Wow... that sounds like a great way to ruin your credit (something you could conceivably fight) as well as go to jail at the same time.

:chair:

Magnavox TV (back in CRT era)

Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, nuff said.

4 returned to store due to it quit working and smoking within a few weeks, 2 sent to Magnavox for in warranty repair after store refused, still blew up anyway.

Brands that you will never buy from again

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

due to anything
IE
crappy products
mistreatment
and so on

EBay - for their ridiculous number of and end overall cut due to their selling fees, ECS anything, Anything branded Fatal1ty, MSI anything, EVGA motherboards (their graphic cards have been great though), Antec PS (their cases have rocked), anything from Chrysler or GM, Any bank that took a bail-out, Shakey on Tiger Direct for several of worst CS experiences EVER and lastly, if Newegg doesn't shape up, they will top this list (Excellent CS, but needless CS - you order a NEW item, you should get THAT item and it darn well should be NEW!)

Amazingly enough, I am getting better treatment, products and services and if so chosen - even better extended warranties - from sellers/businesses on EBay than businesses like Newegg where I am an 10+ year customer and Tiger Direct where I am a 7ish year customer. I miss Abit, EPoX and ZipZoomFly. :*(

Last edited:
I still buy eBay but rarely. 99% of the time I find Amazon to be cheaper (new and used) than eBay.

One generic DVD for example may be available on Amazon new for $15, new from various sellers from 12 and up, and used $5 and up, and always with reasonable shipping. eBay may have a new $15 DVD with $10 shipping (yikes) and used $0.01 with $20 shipping.

I do avoid buying from China, HK, and Taiwan. Too many things are nonworking (fake) or never arrived and dealing with them takes too long. Some of them have wised up and got middle men in USA but USA address didn't make their quality any better.

-Thermaltake(Had their heatsinks back in the day and it simply sucked. Replaced it with a Zalman and saw my temps drop a good 10* C)
-Seagate(Have owned 4 hard drives over the past 10 years or so and every single one died or started clicking quite badly after a few months.)
-Android based phones(Maybe I'll buy from them again once they make something that works worth a damn. But I've owned a few so far and every one was unstable after a month of use. and required constant reboots/ROM reloads.)
-Target branded lamps(Started sparking 4 months after purchase.)
-Epson(Printers always sucked up ink and sometimes wouldn't even register that a new ink cartridge was installed.)
-Enermax(PSU fan shorted out which caused intermittent reboots less than 6 months of owning the damn thing.)

I think that's it for now.

Century Link - Had their internet at a place I lived for a year, had no other choices for providers. It would work fine all day but exactly at 5 pm it would start cutting out. I would have internet for about 10 minutes, then I would lose it for about 5-10 minutes, and then it would come back on and do it all over again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Every call to their customer service always ended in "You need to replace the phone line going from the phone jack to your modem." Sometimes it would go out for a week at a time, and I'd see a service truck in the area. As soon as I stopped seeing that service truck, it would be working again, work great with no loss of service for a couple of weeks, and then go back to cutting out again. Yet even calling them during the time the truck was there they wouldn't mention anything about having technicians working on the problem, it was somehow always MY phone line that was bad.

Not to mention it was slow as molasses when it worked and cost just as much as my current cable internet does.

Duck Tape brand duct tape - It won't even stick to itself. Even a cheap generic dollar store roll sticks better than that crap.

Last edited:
RAZER - boomslang died in 3 weeks, replaced under warranty, replacement died couple months later, then the company was "out of business" for a while before coming back.

forums were full of people complaining about the boomslangs dying.

HP (laptops) as the last one I got was...:bang head
Symantec, for terrible customer service and even worth security products.
Apple for their "we're gold on earth" marketing.

Back