• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody wrap pins 1-2-3-4??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LarryJoe

Any tips? Wrapping 3-4 was a little stressful. Going to try for the full wrap. I need more volts!

Thanks. I think I have a real good shot at 2750 or even 2800. Check my sig, I have a ways to go before I stop upping the vcore. I'll use 1.85 as the high mark that I am willing to go.

I also just ordered an AVC Sunflower and some ASIII. I am using a P4 Volcano now and I hear the AVC is the best. Nothing to lose I guess.

I've read that the best air cooling hsf is the swiftech. Granted it is like 60-70 bucks but from what I've heard well worth it. (going to order mine in a few weeks :cool: )

I heard the same, I just don't feel like having to deal with bolting it onto the mobo everytime I pull the CPU. I'll see how this AVC Sunflower handles things. It cost me $20 shipped. If I have to spend $60-$70, I may consider water cooling.

The Swiftech MCX478 is the best Northwood cooler. You have to initially install the cooler "standoffs" and nuts with the motherboard out of the case, but I super glued the nylon nuts onto the threads, so removing and reinstalling the heatsink is easy now. I've had the cooler off and back on twice now.

I ended up ordering mine today...hopefully I will be able to overclock much higher in a few days. Thanks to this thread I successfully did the 4 pin wire mod and can up my voltage some more!

There is no way I am taking my mobo out. I don't think heat is my problem, I just need more voltage. Which I guess will create more heat. So I figure if I have to take the chip out agian to wire it, I may as well try one of these AVC Sunflowers that is supposed to be the best, except for the Swiftech. I also got some AS3 on the way, I was using AS2.

Tony - any comments on your pinning process?

Isn't 1.85V enough or are you poised with "cold boot" problem?

LarryJoe said:
Any tips? Wrapping 3-4 was a little stressful. Going to try for the full wrap. I need more volts!

You see, my max right now with 3-4 wrapped is 1.825 volts. This registers in reality as 1.72-1.75. The TH7II is about 0.075 below the actual setting. I guess abit is being conservative. I would just like to be able to set it to around 1.9 so I can have 1.825 to reach 2.7 or 2.8. See what I mean? And no, I have no problem booting, I can actually get into Windows at 2.7, but not stable.

Link

They are all in a row, starting with number 4--->3--->2--->1. You can't just wrap all 4 by just going around 4 and 1 in an oval, or I wouldn't try that anyway. They all have to be connected. I have not done it yet, but I am going to criss-cross between each pin creating a braid.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

LJ

ok, so the pic shows pins 4-->3 wrapped, thank you cause I was begining to think they were the 4 pins in the corner.
LarryJoe said:
Link

They are all in a row, starting with number 4--->3--->2--->1. You can't just wrap all 4 by just going around 4 and 1 in an oval, or I wouldn't try that anyway. They all have to be connected. I have not done it yet, but I am going to criss-cross between each pin creating a braid.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

LJ

I've got a conductive pen and am thinking of just using a pin-head to paint connectection on the 4 pins.
anyone tried this yet?
otherwise, I'm thinking a 20k resistor from pin 7 to pin 9 on the voltage regulator on the TH7II-R should give me a max of 2v.

I don't see how you can even get a pen in there. Have you looked at how close the pins are?

Soldering is an option on the volt reg, but it seems to me the easiest wat to go is to wire the pins.

When I did it, I took an old Cerleron 433 I had and used a pin to make one tight wrap in the middle of a speaker wire I had cut. Then I took the loop and caught pin 1 and then innertwined (sp?) the wire through the other 3. It took about 10 minutes once I had the wire cut. It was alot easier that I had imagined!

LarryJoe, the way you described braiding or lacing or intertwining the wire in between pins was the way I did it (see my link in the second post of this thread on how I did it). I know the article I followed (see link below) just had a loop around the pins, but that looks like the wire would fall off easily and maybe not have as good of contact on the pins. Tony, that's the way I did it too, except I took the wire around a sewing needle to make my loop in order to lasso pin #1.

I thought about using a conductive pen to connect the CPU pins or to make a trace to connect the pin holes on the socket, but I wanted a temporary connection, plus I didn't think I could connect those tiny CPU pins with conductive juice without making a mess.

Those of you having trouble figuring out which pins are VID 1, 2, 3, and 4 check out this diagram. You should also use the pic in the article to locate which corner of the CPU these pins are in.

http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=278

Last edited:
I know batboy I read your post and that is where I got my idea on how to make it work the best. It is now tightly wrapped and going nowhere

Thanks for the good info batboy. I literally can't wait to perform this task, but my AVC Sunflower and AS3 won't be here until next week. It seems whenever I select ground shipping, it ends up coming from CA (I am in MA).

Just a note here, when I did the 3-4 wrap, I think I used too thick of a wire. It was speaker wire, but a heavy gauge. The heavier it is, the harder it will be to stay on and also more likely to bend the pins while twisting the last one. I bent my pins a bit because of this.

With all this information, wrapping the 4 pins should be a piece of cake.

Thanks.

Back