• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New IT student looking for some help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morblakesmom

Hi!! I hope I am in the right place to post this! I am a new IT student and I have a question I hope one of you out there can answer! I am having to look up several different processors and list their specs. I am having trouble finding the bus speed for most of these. Can someone tell me how it is listed on the spec chart. I know that it is measured in MHz, but not having any luck locating it!!! Thank you all!

If you're having to look up newer processors, they don't really have a front side bus speed anymore. The memory and pcie controllers are on the cpu itself so they run at different speeds. No more communicating with a northbridge on a motherboard to interface with the other components at a set rate.

That being said, this is what you'll be looking for on a bit older cpu's (from intel site):

edit: to go along with what reduc said, that would be 2500mhz / 7.5 = 333mhz.
333mhz x 4 transfers/cycle = 1333mhz fsb

Captureaa.PNG

Last edited:
where are you taking this class? seems like an odd lesson.

by the way, 6 months hanging out in our general hardware subforum and you would likely learn this sort of stuff much deeper than this class will. ;)

Thank you so much for your reply!!! I am taking this class because I am enrolled at ITT Tech and it is required!! I am working toward my associate in network admin. The instructor told us that a lot of this info is old but we would have to know most of it for like the A+ cert class and such!!! The pic really helped, but I did notice that a lot of the newer processors aren't listed the same way!!! That made things a little more difficult because I wasn't sure what I was looking for anyway!! lol Thank you again for you reply!!! Looking forward to reading the forums..sure I will get a ton of info from them!!

Last edited:
Awesome!! Thank you so much!!!! I have another question for you! Are expansion slots and port expanders the same thing? I am thinking yes, but not real sure!!! As you can see, I do not know much at all about the insides of a computer, and this is not really what I want to do, but I have to learn it! I really appreciate all the help!!!!!

Expansion ports and port expanders can be different things.

I believe... A port expander is typically an addon card that adds additional expansion ports, unless I am mistaken.

An expansion port would typically be a pci slot, or pcie slot.

Don't quote me, I would look up the definition or references on Wikipedia if I wanted to make sure I understodd exactly.

I am thinking as well a port expander could be any device that multiplies ports. So a USB expander, or a sas expander. Not sure myself.

I agree with IMOG.

I also agree that A+/Net+ certs typically use dated information.
These should be pump and dumb type learnings (IE learn enough to pass your tests and know that it can be looked up in the future... not something you will need to know in the real world except that such knowledge is available).

A+ cert was probably one of the most worthless things I ever did in my life. No one cares about it. (Do you know what a pinout is? Ok good here is the paper...)

I agree with IMOG.

I also agree that A+/Net+ certs typically use dated information.
These should be pump and dumb type learnings (IE learn enough to pass your tests and know that it can be looked up in the future... not something you will need to know in the real world except that such knowledge is available).

A+ cert was probably one of the most worthless things I ever did in my life. No one cares about it. (Do you know what a pinout is? Ok good here is the paper...)

all of the wicked old stuff covered in the book is not on the test (either half). i think they put it in there just so you know about it.

with the A+ if you have been working around or messing with computers for awhile you should already have a good grasp on most of the stuff on the tests.

I agree on the A+ not being cared about. some jobs i have been applying for had A+ as a requirement.

it's just one of the bottom level certs that is pretty useless and the fact that they stopped the lifetime holding status on it is dumb. who in their right mind is going to retake the A+ every 3yrs.

The a+ has been updated several times also. So if you are referencing a book, you want one that has been updated in line with when the test was updated.

Well to be honest I do not know the first thing about the inside of a computer!!! So all of this is foreign to me!!! lol

So you all think the the A+ cert is not even worth my time then? That is great info to know considering that you do have to pay to take the test and all of the studying that goes into it!

I am in my 1st semester at school and am hoping that my classes are more geared to the programming/networking side than the repair side! I do not care to build computers or repair them! I enjoy the software/programming side more. Anyone know what direction to go in if you are interested in Computer Forensics? That is my dream! Any advice anyone has on that would be awesome!!!!!!!

My next research paper is on the Pentium Flaw! From what I have found so far this happened in 94? Hope I am on the right track!!!

Expansion ports are all the various connection in a computer (USB, ...).
Port expander is an equipment that connect links to several other devices to one port in a computer.

If you want an example: USB port is an expansion port. A 13 USB ports Hub is a port expander.

I could be wrong (english is not my mother tongue, the words are different in my language ^^' ), but I think it is it.

I have no idea what A+ cert is but I am glad not to have to worry about it xD

Last time I looked at an A+ book it still talked about ISA, EISA or VESA expansion slots...... A+ is basically a waste of time unless you're just trying to get into the industry. You're better off doing whatever the current equivalent of an MCSE is.... Mind you, they're now so common people don't care much about them either.... There's no replacement for experience.... Mind you, Citrix and Cisco certs are still worthwhile getting.... HP networking certs are also a worthwhile thign to study as they're on their way up since buying out 3com

Last time I looked at an A+ book it still talked about ISA, EISA or VESA expansion slots...... A+ is basically a waste of time unless you're just trying to get into the industry. You're better off doing whatever the current equivalent of an MCSE is.... Mind you, they're now so common people don't care much about them either.... There's no replacement for experience.... Mind you, Citrix and Cisco certs are still worthwhile getting.... HP networking certs are also a worthwhile thign to study as they're on their way up since buying out 3com

i got more out of the online stuff like the link i posted above than the book. rather than sit there and read about old stuff most of which i knew about anyway.

most of it was just a refresher for me anyway since i have been reading and messing around with computers since high school.

Back