• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k Overheating Problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjbcrazy

I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the correct subforum but I'm sure somebody can inform me if it's wrong.

I've just built my first computer yesterday (specs below) and everything seemed to be going fine until I checked using speedfan and CPU-Z to check the temperatures before overclocking.

It was at this point that i noticed my CPU temp was at 83 degrees C! I thought this must be some kind of error as I have liquid cooling and and core temps claimed to be around 25 C. I restarted and checked the bios which also said the CPU temp was around 25 C. I then ran a prime 95 test to see if it was alright, after about 20 seconds it crashed and there was a faint burning smell (never good!).

I figured the heatsink wasn't attached correctly and so I cleaned it off and reapplied with new thermal paste. I attempted an intel burn test and this was able to finish, however afterwards the pc again turned off and more faint burning smell.

Now I'm thinking the liuid cooling is broken so I atached the stock cooler, temps now read about 31C for the cores and in the bios but still 84C for the CPU reading. An intel burn test again crashed with the slight burning smell :-/ I presume I haven't damaged my CPU as it should turn off before damaging itself and the temps were high before I even ran the first performance test.

So now I'm at a complete loss, I haven't overclocked it or messed with any of the settings. This is my first ever build so it's possible I've done something wrong.

Can anybody help or is my CPU defective and I should RMA it?

Spec:

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Processor
Asus P8Z68-V LX Socket 1155 Onboard graphics output 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Sapphire HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Memory Kit 1.5V
Arctic Power 700W PSU
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 CPU Cooler / Stock Cooler
Western Digital 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache HDD

Temp recordings with stock cooler:

image.jpg

To be honest; it sounds like it's your PSU that's burning.... I've personally never heard of 'Arctic Power' as a power supply brand.. But perhaps that's just me.

That CPUTIN reading isn't relevant in this instance. Your Core temps are what matters. That CPUTIN reading is fine. Don't worry about it. I believe some people have theirs at like 130 degrees.. I actually think the temp sensor for that one is a bit buggy everywhere for everyone..

Your Core temps are fine it seems. Run IBT and see what Core #0-#3 say. They're the only temps that matter in this instance.

Thanks for the advice, now that I think about it that does seem like the most logical reason for the failure.

I don't have a spare PSU to test this theory but I'll go into town and buy a more respectable brand power supply later today and let you know how it goes.

Asus boards in conjunction with HWmonitor are known to do very strange things, although I hear a bios update fixes it. I don't know about the smell (that sounds bad) but your temps are fine. Pretty soon you'll see all kinds of strange voltages, temps and 65K rpm fan speeds on HWmonitor like I do. Try realtemp or update your bios.

But yeah, I'd smell around your power supply really well and if its burnt smelling I'd bag it ASAP

Back