• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rambus Demonstrates RIMM 4200, World's Highest Bandwidth PC Memory Module

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
The RIMM 4200 module integrates two RDRAM memory channels to deliver 4.2GB/s of memory bandwidth from a single module. Using standard RDRAM components, RIMM 4200 modules operate with existing RDRAM controllers, and enable single module upgrades of dual channel memory systems. Furthermore, with built-in channel termination, RIMM 4200 modules simplify motherboard design and require less than 5 square inches of system board area. The demonstration system to be shown at Intel Developer Forum uses a low cost four-layer motherboard and modules that fit in standard memory connector footprints using a 232 pin version of the RIMM connector

Details here

This stuff is just (2)PC1066s mechanically connected into one module. I can take (2) PC1066 modules, epoxy them with proper spacing onto a popsickle stick, and LO...I've got a 32bit wide module that gets 4.2Gigs/second! Aren't I a genius? Nothing new at all...Mark

ah, but the difference with the "PC4200" (dangit someone should come up with an industry-wide 'ethics in marketing overview committee'...whoops, I just said ethics and marketing in the same sentence!) is that you can use one RIMM in one memory slot for a dual-channel system. With your very creative popsicle-method, you still need to use two RIMM slots, and the two channels would have to be parallel and the correct distance apart :)

This actually could be very neato for consoles and other embedded systems. AFAIK more RDRAM volume goes into those than desktops anyway...

As I understand it, that one memory slot being 32bits wide will actually feed 2 channels and thus you'd gain nothing except compactness. Of course if each channel WERE 32bits wide then,yes, you'd double your memory bandwidth and that would be wonderful. But I don't think that's the case...Mark

Back