• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mixing different SPEED (ex PC66/PC100) ram, but still the same TYPE (ex SDRAM) will slow the faster ram down to the slower ram's speed.

sometimes different brand or different model memory does not like to work together with each other (even if they're the same speed & type). so if you do run into problems, take out one or the other memory speed sticks you have in there and see if it resolves your problem.

but, provided they dont have a problem with each other, there wont be a problem with slowing your faster ram down to the slower ram's speed.

SteenkyBastage said:
mixing different SPEED (ex PC66/PC100) ram, but still the same TYPE (ex SDRAM) will slow the faster ram down to the slower ram's speed.

That's what I needed to know, I thought that was what happened, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks dude :).

This one puzzles me guyz, its 2 generic 128mb pc133 and 1 crucial pc100. did a sandra bench and here are the results. i also did a bench without the pc100 and the results are almost the same. could the crucial be running at pc133>?

Some brands don't like to mix well, some speeds don't like to mix well. Although your ram runs @ what your FSB runs at.

Dragonbud said:
This one puzzles me guyz, its 2 generic 128mb pc133 and 1 crucial pc100. did a sandra bench and here are the results. i also did a bench without the pc100 and the results are almost the same. could the crucial be running at pc133>?

memory's rated speed is basically just what it's designed to run at. you can overclock or underclock memory all you want, and if it works, it will work about the same as memory that was rated at your overclocked/underclocked ram.

for example, the first pc-100 c3 ram I purchased could run at 133 c2 without a hitch at all.

the memory's rated speed is basically what it is supposed to run at, but with us overclockers, that's never good enough!

also note:

the memory will be running at whatever your motherboard/bios is telling it to run at. so if you simply take out the 100mhz ram, you actually haven't changed anything.

what removing the 100mhz ram MIGHT do is let you overclock your 133mhz ram more because (most likely) the 133mhz ram wont have problems until higher speeds than the 100mhz ram.

Back