• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

defektedtoy

Hi guys!

So I've been out of the game for quite some time. I almost jumped on the Intel 960 bandwagon, then decided to wait for the 1155 chipset. Life happened and I had to wait again until tax season this year to build a new box.

I have a budget of about $800 US dollars.

I am considering a Intel Core i5-2500K, but with Ivy coming out in April, and the 2011 chipset I am at a loss.

I have a MSI Cyclone 460 GTX of which I could buy another for SLI, or I could sell it and upgrade. The video card can always be upgraded at a later date, and besides, this thing OC'd is kind of beastly. So I am not too worried about a video card just yet.

I am looking for a new CPU/MOBO/RAM essentially, mainly for gaming. I also plan on overclocking.

As far as overclocking goes, I have in the past used mainly air setups because of the price/ease of use. I would like to get away from that this time around and get a closed loop setup like the Corsair H100.

To wrap this up because I tend to ramble:

Do I wait for Ivy or grab an i5-2500k? Perhaps an i7 2600k?

Should I base my motherboard choice upon compatibility with Ivy? (something like an Asrock Z68? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271)

Is the H100 sufficient to reach a 4.3-4.5ghz OC on the i5 2600k?

What would you guys recommend given my budget/needs? I also live right next to the Micro Center in Michigan so I have access to their in store only pricing concerning CPUs.

Thanks in advance for any help with this stuff. :)

EDIT:I posted this here as my biggest concern when building a new PC is the processor, which is where I need the help deciding. If I should have posted this elsewhere, please move the thread to it's proper location or let me know so I can do so.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd wait for the Ivys. April is around the corner and Ivys are there.

Then, when Z77 boards come out, grab a Z77 (or a P67 if they work with Ivys) and the H100. That will easily handle 4.5GHz.

Keep your GTX460, if you want, you can SLi as I did with my 470.

For RAM, any 8GB 1600MHz CL9 1.5v kit will do. The cheapest one if possible.

Back