• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU for Image Processing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Noshei

So I'm working on putting together a new computer for my Dad. He takes a crap ton of pictures for a local high schools athletics and he uses his computer to go through them, sort, move, burn, upload, ect. He doesnt do much on editing other than maybe rotating them. Out side of this he doesnt use him computer for much.

The program he is using is a canon program that comes with their higher end camers. It is a pretty intensive program on the utilization side. I am already planning on putting in 16 GB of memory and some good HDD's.

I am however stuck on what I want to do for a processor. I am trying to get the best value I can and am trying to stay below $200.

Right now Im looking at an i5-2400, but I wanted to get some input from everyone else on what they think would be good.

I'd be tending towards Intel chips for number crunching I think. The i5-2400 seems like a sound idea.

If you have a Microcenter near by you can get a 2500K for 180 which is in budget and that chip overclocked into the high 4Ghz would be a better performer. JM2C

:( My bad ^ should have mentioned. Yes get the 212+ it should be 25$. $205 but you can get a 4.8ish Ghz cpu out of it most likely.

For sure (95%) 4.5Ghz. As you may know not all CPUs are equal in how well they will OC.

Make sure you get a p67 or better Z68 Gen 3 board. The ASRock Xtreme 3 gen 3 is a Z68 Gen 3 board, is affordable (120-135ish) and will get the job done.

I have an H50 somewhere around here I'm planning to use, maybe its an H70 I don't remember. Either way I'm going to put 2 fans on it.

I'd think that would work. As for a motherboard choice, I'd definitely recommend Asrock. I really like my current board's looks (Asrock EXTREME3 970), everything works well, and the BIOS is easy to navigate.

Z77 is the chipset you want...

Heh.. spammer necrod the thread, lol!
:( My bad ^ should have mentioned. Yes get the 212+ it should be 25$. $205 but you can get a 4.8ish Ghz cpu out of it most likely.

For sure (95%) 4.5Ghz. As you may know not all CPUs are equal in how well they will OC.

Make sure you get a p67 or better Z68 Gen 3 board. The ASRock Xtreme 3 gen 3 is a Z68 Gen 3 board, is affordable (120-135ish) and will get the job done.

Noshei if you're going to Microcenter to get the CPU and you're getting a motherboard. They have a Intel+Z77 motherboard $50.00 off combo deal. You can get a I5 3570k+ an Asrock Extreme 4 mobo for 269.00 + tax

Back