• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video decoding did I mess up???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

promazda

Ok I built a new rig for gaming and video decoding I went with the 2500k and clocked it to 4700. From start to finish I'm at 15 min on a full video. Should I have gotten a 2600 with hyper threading?

Without knowing the dimensions (resolution and size) of the existing video, what program you are using to convert it and what settings you have set for the converter/conversion, I'm not sure how we are able to compare it to anything. I'm also confused your choice of word "decoding". Ripping a disk is not processor intensive, so I think you mean encoding/converting/compressing.

To give a very rough comparison, I can convert uncompressed DVDs to MKV files ("20" quality compression in Handbrake) in around 15 minutes each. I can convert uncompressed Bluray to MKV ("22" quality) in just under an hour per movie. This is on a Core2Quad QX9650 running at 4.0 GHz.

The program my wife uses mainly is dvd fab for maiking backups of dvd/blueray she also does some vid editing for friends.

For archiving movies, I would suggest MakeMKV (does DVD and Bluray) to rip it uncompressed and then Handbrake to convert it to a reasonable size. I'm not familiar with DVD Fab, so I don't know if that is normal or not. I'd first check to see if it is using all the cores of your processor.

I will check to see if it utilizes all cores. What program would you suggest? I was just going to use hwm to see if all cores are the close to same temp.

Last edited:
I gave my suggestion in my last post. MakeMKV and Handbrake.

handbrake is great.

And gives you alot of control over the quality of the output. IIRC it also expands well up to 8 threads so a 2600K would have been perfect.

You have no option to use quicksync on P67, that is a nice tool for SD rips but only works on a couple of apps and only supports stereo audio.

Back