• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair? OR Crucial? Whats it gona be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_Duster_

OK guys, here it is:

Lian-Li: PC68
Antec: PP412X
Shuttle: AK35GTR
2) 40 GB Maxtor 7200 Diamonds +
AMD: XP 1800
Dynatron: DY1206BH-638
Radeon 8500
Sound: Pending

IT'S RAM TIME !!

It seems to be a competitve market in the DDR industry right now. Thinking about running one 512 bank. Just pennies seperate the two competitors I'm looking at. Im leaning toward the Corsair, but you know how it is, decisions decisions. One thing im not sure on though is, will the AK35GTR run the PC 2400 sticks? Give me your thoughts and suggestions, slams are welcome as well. Thanks.

America Forever

Duster

Im loving my crucial at 2-2-2 and right now its running at a 155 FSB. Not too bad for the agressive settings, but Im sure you can do better.

corsiar pc2400 cls 512mb stick at newegg for 189 ahhhhh me want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe
cruical is very good, free shipping, great service.. altho there only cas2.5 corsiar is garrinted cas2 at 150mhz, just depeneds what u want.

I don't get this memory thing. Paul's faq says :

Note also that the memory bus is asynchronous, meaning that it runs at either 200MHz or 266MHz DDR, regardless of the FSB used.

So what's the point in getting ram that will go up to 150mhz. I know I'm missing something here. Someone please explain.

NuebieN said:
I don't get this memory thing. Paul's faq says :

So what's the point in getting ram that will go up to 150mhz. I know I'm missing something here. Someone please explain.

well standerd ddr runs at 133mhz, and when oc'ing u up that. usualy around 150 for overclocking. so he wants the best member so he can get 150fsb (300mhz ddr actually).

According to the faq, when you change the fsb, you DO NOT change the speed of the ram. Maybe that is just the Abit board. That would also explain why ppl can get such high fsb speeds.

NuebieN said:
According to the faq, when you change the fsb, you DO NOT change the speed of the ram. Maybe that is just the Abit board. That would also explain why ppl can get such high fsb speeds.

theres ram timings, and fsb that the ram runs at, 2 different things.. the fsb is external, and the timings are internal. so to speak

So you're saying, when you increase the front side bus speed, you DO NOT increase the speed of the ram?

NuebieN said:
So you're saying, when you increase the front side bus speed, you DO NOT increase the speed of the ram?

this took me a while to explain.. but timings and fsb are 2 whole different things.. fsbxcpu mulitplyer=cpu speed, timings is like how fast the memory thinks.. i cant really explain it.. its just something i know.. PM "hoot" or "jon" they can give you the best answer techically on this :)

Thanx man.. I'm waiting for Sonny to respond in this post on the same subject. By the way, you know that system you liked, blew my motherboard up today. Spilled beer on it. Man I'm so depressed

Last edited:
NuebieN said:
Thanx man.. by the way, blew my motherboard up today. Spilled beer on it. Man I'm so depressed.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
that REAlly bites man :(
can u afford a new one?

get aim www.aim.com, so we can chat :)

i have 2 extra mobos i got off ebay if you need a cheap one to run a while..

NuebieN said:
I'll be aight as soon as I can get this order off to newegg.

great, glad to see your ok..
get aim!
what mobo did u get from newegg? (i like newegg alot)
get aim..
oh did i say for you to get aim?

Maybe tomorow on the AIM.

As for the mb, I think I'm goin with the Abit kr7a raid. I like the soft menu in the bios. I was thinking about going for the new kt333 chipset but the only one with a jumperless multi and fsb is ASUS. It'll probably be awhile before anyone shows how to do a volt mod on that. And I don't really like buying a new board just when it comes out. Could be a skunk.

Maybe tommorow on the AIM. Need to sleep baddly.

NuebieN said:
Maybe tomorow on the AIM.

As for the mb, I think I'm goin with the Abit kr7a raid. I like the soft menu in the bios. I was thinking about going for the new kt333 chipset but the only one with a jumperless multi and fsb is ASUS. It'll probably be awhile before anyone shows how to do a volt mod on that. And I don't really like buying a new board just when it comes out. Could be a skunk.

Maybe tommorow on the AIM. Need to sleep baddly.

ok i look forward to that.. im sure we'll have alot to chat about :)

get the one that you know will support DDR2400. Since you know they will support OCing. always good to buy the better ram cuz you can alway change the mother board and keep the ram when the new mobo support higher FSB.

id go with the crucial. running at 2-2-2 easy. fast shipping
and it's free. never had a problem with it.

both are great brands.

at the time, i like the c2 pc2400 512MB stick corsair is offering (with heatspreader) for 189 at newegg ::drool::

newegg doesn't have any 2400 or 2700 crucial (dont even know if they make any), nor do they have any with heatspreaders...

Back