• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the Indigo2 the parent of the CRAY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I didn't want to be a thread jacker so I started my own.

I was thinking, (I know, dangerous) is the Indigo the forerunner to the Cray, or is the Indigo a workstation FOR the Cray Supercomputer, as I realized that both the Cray and the Indigo are made by SGI?

Maybe I'll go to SGI to see what they have now just for S's and G's...last I heard they were using AMD cpu's.

Uh, I may have typed too soon..I learned that Cray and SGI are two different companies..but somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought that Cray was made by SGI.
Hmm..I reckon more research is needed. I feel dumb for the 1st post.

Man Frakk, Talk about a hard read..the guy or gal that wrote the article must not have proof read the article, because I had to read between the lines to make sense of it.
Or maybe it was written in another language and translated badly.
The Nvidia Tesla gpu's have I think 448 cores on 1 die.
Actually it is known as a gp/gpu or general purpose graphics processing unit.

The way things are going...the chipsets will soon be on die as well as cpu and gpu.
Interesting times we live in..

Man Frakk, Talk about a hard read..the guy or gal that wrote the article must not have proof read the article, because I had to read between the lines to make sense of it.
Or maybe it was written in another language and translated badly.
The Nvidia Tesla gpu's have I think 448 cores on 1 die.
Actually it is known as a gp/gpu or general purpose graphics processing unit.

The way things are going...the chipsets will soon be on die as well as cpu and gpu.
Interesting times we live in..

I think it was written in a different language and then translated, probably by google translate lol.

GPU on CPU DIE are already becoming a reality (APU's)
That, i think is a good idea as you could Crossfire? the on DIE GPU with a traditional GPU giving you that performance increase for less money.

But i would not like the idea of CPU - GPU on chip-set DIE as that looks like something you would be stuck with when you get the MOBO its glued to.

yea that is interesting, i would like to see a company put some RD into a huge multi core arm cpu. being risc and os's still be out there to run it and win8 soon to be out. it could give nv/amd a run in this type of segment, even intels [aka Larrabee project] card for that matter. might be worth a look now since the newer arms are running 2.5ghz or there about maybe it was 2.4ghz. still that kind of speed in a many core application could be huge on power-used/performance ratio.

Yeah and then there's ARM, a British firm started out designing processors for Acorn and BBC computers.
(for those not old enough to remember the days before Microsoft and Apple, yes there was such a time) they are now the main processor provider for smart phones and tablets.

There products are extremely efficient, both AMD and Intel need to keep an eye on ARM because if ARM do decide to take back a share of the larger portable or even the static markets AMD and Intel might get a nasty little surprise, ARM are very capable.

I have to admit to taking my own eye off the ARM ball as i have no interest in portable, but that name does seemed to have resurfaced as if they are on the move.

What can you tell me about what it is exactly there doing?

Attachments

• acornapple_1797960b.jpg
    acornapple_1797960b.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 53
well consider MS with win8 will support arm. not only that but the smartphone os's use arm. there graphics ability has come a long way with some nice goodies comeing from Ti's arm cpu, due out some time this year. they say it has twice the performance off TI's last gen arm cpu. Arm cpus have a big foot hold in phones and tablets or a large chunk anyway of the tablets. where the cpus will shine more is going to be netbook/nettops, even though netbooks are small compared to laptops. with there bigger size over smartphones that is alot more space to be able to use for a larger battery. which means much longer run time for those that need it, just will be interesting to see who runs with arm cpus in the netbook/nettop segments if they do at all. hell they might even head into laptop segments to with the win8 and chrome OS's. its all a wait and see thing but i dought anyone would do what i predict might/should happen.

well consider MS with win8 will support arm. not only that but the smartphone os's use arm. there graphics ability has come a long way with some nice goodies comeing from Ti's arm cpu, due out some time this year. they say it has twice the performance off TI's last gen arm cpu. Arm cpus have a big foot hold in phones and tablets or a large chunk anyway of the tablets. where the cpus will shine more is going to be netbook/nettops, even though netbooks are small compared to laptops. with there bigger size over smartphones that is alot more space to be able to use for a larger battery. which means much longer run time for those that need it, just will be interesting to see who runs with arm cpus in the netbook/nettop segments if they do at all. hell they might even head into laptop segments to with the win8 and chrome OS's. its all a wait and see thing but i dought anyone would do what i predict might/should happen.

2 is company 3 is a crowd, interesting stuff and good for price / innovation.

ARM cpu's are used (in various forms) in hdd controllers, portable media players, smartphones, pda's and settop boxes, and as stand alone processing units for low end PC's.
Just about anything small and portable with a display will most likely have some kind of ARM processor.
Just think where we would be if IBM had sued the 1st clone makers of their PC?

Yeah and then there's ARM, a British firm started out designing processors for Acorn and BBC computers.
(for those not old enough to remember the days before Microsoft and Apple, yes there was such a time) they are now the main processor provider for smart phones and tablets.

There products are extremely efficient, both AMD and Intel need to keep an eye on ARM because if ARM do decide to take back a share of the larger portable or even the static markets AMD and Intel might get a nasty little surprise, ARM are very capable.

I have to admit to taking my own eye off the ARM ball as i have no interest in portable, but that name does seemed to have resurfaced as if they are on the move.

Wow everything that is dead comes back again RISC vs CISC....
And last time I checked Apple bought ARM.

Last edited:
ARM cpu's are used (in various forms) in hdd controllers, portable media players, smartphones, pda's and settop boxes, and as stand alone processing units for low end PC's.
Just about anything small and portable with a display will most likely have some kind of ARM processor.
Just think where we would be if IBM had sued the 1st clone makers of their PC?

yea samsunges 820 line uses a tri-core arm controller. pretty fast stuff for the low amount of power it uses for sure.

With the chinese backing it MIPS is going to be the one to keep an eye on in the future. Their Alpha designs would be relevant except they're keeping those for internal/domestic use only. MIPS has the potential ro match ARM in the effiiency stakes.

Wow, MIPS. Haven't even thought of them in years. Had a machine running a MIPS R4400 in probably 1995 or so.

Back