• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitworth2001

Registered
Heys guys

Need a bit of advise i am wanting to upgrade my processor at the moment i have a amd duel core x225 but want to upgrade it bascially for games bf3 world of warcraft etc my motherboard supports am3 also. looking around the £110 mark was thinking of the fx bulldozer 4100 but heard some bad reviews

Cheers
Kris

:welcome:
What other hardware do you have? Going from a dual core to a quad should be a good upgrade, but it depends on what you use your computer for.

Sorry i use my comp just for gaming BF3 Etc comp specs are
Amd Duel Core x225 oc 3.4 ghz
GTX560TI OC
8GB DDR3 Memory
Asus M5A78L-M LX Motherboard
24inch Viewsonic HDD monitor

It's hard to find a good comparison between those two, but the X225 is pretty dated. Most of the negative reviews are because people were disappointed that the FX4100 and other new CPUs weren't nearly as big a performance gain as they hoped.

On one hand, the FX4100 isn't a super fast processor, but it has twice as many cores as what you're using now. Also, you can upgrade the CPU without a new motherboard, right? So it depends on what you want to do with the money. If you really want to upgrade I think it's a worthwhile upgrade, but I wouldn't fault you for saving up for something different instead.

hi thanks for the reply

so which would be the best one for gaming the 2.7 ghz one or the 3.0 ghz also is the x6 good for overclocking

hi thanks for the reply

so which would be the best one for gaming the 2.7 ghz one or the 3.0 ghz also is the x6 good for overclocking

The 1045T frankly is not all that good for overclocking as its locked, you need a Black Edition like mine for overclocking and x6 BE's are fast becoming horrendously expensive if you can find one see here

You said you want a rig for BF3? well the FX-4100 will match an i5 2500K in BF3 yet costs a lot less and will overclock to 5Ghz on a good cooler (not that you will need to)

The FX has bad reviews because those reviewing place so much emphasis on x86 benchmarking, there is little need to in 2012, this is not 1999! most things now are multi-threaded.(like BF3)

It might not unpack your archives as fast or recode your movies as fast as a 2500K or an old Phenom like mine, but it will play the new games just as well.
waiting a few extra seconds to unpack your RAR, or extra minutes to encode your home movies is a price worth paying considering the cassimus cost difference.

BUT, you will need a socket AM3+, a standard AM3 is no good for an FX CPU, is your socket AM3+ or just a standard AM3?

If you want to be on the safe side get that suggested x4 BE from scan, or for the FX you may need a new MOBO depending on what socket it is.

BF3 will use 4 cores and no more, so 3Ghz on 4 cores is better than 2.7Ghz on 6

Or consider the FX-6 series, its a good cost effective future proof chip.

Attachments

• CPU_03.jpg
    CPU_03.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Thanks for the info

Yes i have an am3+ board so is the AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition faster then the fx4100 because they are kinda the same price. also was thinking of going to 6 cores with the 6120 but i heard the most resent games only run off 4 cores anyway so it would be a waste of money going that little bit extra?

Thanks for the info

Yes i have an am3+ board so is the AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition faster then the fx4100 because they are kinda the same price. also was thinking of going to 6 cores with the 6120 but i heard the most resent games only run off 4 cores anyway so it would be a waste of money going that little bit extra?

I think the FX-4100 will run BF3 slightly better as it has a higher stock clock speed than the 960T, its also a better overclocker, the 960T will get to about 4Ghz on a good air CPU cooler where as the FX will do 5Ghz on the same cooler.

The 960T is better (not massively better) with run of the mill x86 apps than the FX with both at stock clocks, and the BF3 performance advantage you get with the FX is pretty much marginal.

If i had no interest in overclocking i would go for the 960T because they are pretty much the same price.

When it comes to 6 cores i would go for the FX-6120 again because of its overclocking abilities over my 1090T BE.

Because your 6 core options are limited to low stock clock speed none BE's IMO you should go for the FX-6120 there. (unless you can find an x6 BE at a similar price)

6 core CPU's are 2 cores to many for the most part today but who knows BF4 might use them all.

Back