• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade an old Gateway GT5662 Desktop, but how?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azuza001

So my main media center machine is a Gateway GT5662 Desktop. It has an old Phenom X4 9550 processor, 3 gigs of ram, and is in what I consider a pretty nice case for it's size. I recently upgraded the video card from the radeon 2400 to a radeon 7750 in the hopes that it would allow my GF to play Skyrim.

Well, it worked sort of. Its definatly an upgrade but it's just not quite enough to get the game where I want it. For example, if the player is just sitting there it will give frame rates of 35 to 45 in fraps but the moment I start moving around it quickly starts dropping to the low 20's as new things pop up. Also 3D mark 06 only scores just over 8000 on this system.

The problem is obviously in the old dog of a processor. The system won't accept much in the terms of an "upgrade" as far as I can tell so I would be looking at a total remake of the system. New CPU/Motherboard/Ram/Power Supply.

My question is what should I go with? I have about 250$ to spend on this upgrade so I want it to be worth it. I thought about just going with a bare bones Pentium D630 along with a basic socket LG1155 board, 8 gigs of ram, and a decent power supply (always buy good power supplies, this I have learned). Is there a good AMD solution that would do just as well? Either way I figured I need the ram and the power supply, it's the processor and motherboard that I'm just not sure which way to go with. I have no issues going down to 4 gigs of ram if I have to to get a better piece of equipment, but with so many options I thought I'd ask lol.

So to sum it up - Need a new processor/motherboard/power supply/ram. AMD or Intel? Which ones? This machine will do 2 things, game (she likes open world RPGS and strategy games. It will also record tv from over the air.

Any advice is appreciated.

I've been told that Skyrim is very CPU intensive. (Without starting a huge debate) The war is over, as much as it kills me to say it, Intel won. The Top of the line AMD processors are scoring benchmark results equal to the middle of the road Intel CPU. You're best bet is getting a whole new rig (keep the GPU, obviously). However that's a big chunk of change, the choice is yours.

I didn't want to jump ship either but I just ordered an I5-2500k, P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3, 8 gb (2x4gb) Corsair LoPro Ram and a Hyper 212+.

Back