• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth going to 384mb ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbiePerson

I currently have 256mb of kingmax pc150 ram
running xp
I have heard that 384 is the best amount of ram for gaming
So is it worth paying over $40?
Or just wait about a year for ddr to come around
or go out and buy a xp?

I would get the extra RAM, if for no other reason than the prices are going up, so get it know while its cheap. But yeah, you'll notice an improvement in XP

ThePunkGeek said:
ram = good :)

i upgraded to 512 from 256 and made me go from 151FSB(max) to 145FSB(max) so thats when upgrading goes bad! :(

:beer:

try running the ram at cas3 or get pc150 ram. I had 3 sticks of pc133 ram and with all 3 in, I got 155fsb!

takiwa said:
I would get the extra RAM, if for no other reason than the prices are going up, so get it know while its cheap. But yeah, you'll notice an improvement in XP

This is right, RAM Prices are going up so get it whil it is cheap. With Premiere or photoshop you will notice the difference.

Definately get more, i just went to 384 and now all other computers seen like crap to me. I have an average of 5 windows open at a time and some music. When I upgraded I noticed that I never get a pause when switching windows.
Just yesterday I was:
Playing Adam Sandler's CD on Music Match
Had 10 windows open in Opera
Was using WinHack (RAM editing)
Had Sisoft Sandra checking my mobo temps
MBM5 was running
and Had a game of chess paused in the background
all at the same time

While doing all of this I could switch between programs with no wait or "thinking time", where when I had 128mb it would take about 5 seconds for it to switch windows.

Back