• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Article in EE Times...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

I was reading this electrical engineering article on DDR 333 and they are saying that it's not going to be a big leap from 266. They said about 30%. What do you think?

It seems to be right, but only for Standard PC users, absolutly not for all of us OCers, that with these kind of mem modules can gain higher freqs!!! :D

The Doors said:
It seems to be right, but only for Standard PC users, absolutly not for all of us OCers, that with these kind of mem modules can gain higher freqs!!! :D

What does that help our OCing?

Well, considering that the PC2700 mem modules are rated for Fsb of 166Mhz, and the PC2100 for 133Mhz, we have more room to play and have fun. Infact the best PC2100 mem modules available, Crucial, generally can go up to 150-160Mhz @Cas2.5, but Kingmax or Corsair PC2700 can go up to 180Mhz and probably much more, and the Cas latency of 2, instead of 2.5, greatly increase the Bandwidth.

I was reading about "Cas" but could you explain this idea in your own words? I didn't quite understand the article. Thanks!

I've not red at all the article, is it on-line?
About the Cas latency, well, if you check the Memory Benchmarks of Sisoft Sandra, there's a great difference of results setting a Cas latency of 2 instead of 3, the only one personally tested with Dimm PC133, coz at the moment I'm using a DDR333 module.
Probably to better understand the meaning, considering my not perfect at all knowledge of English, follow a description made by Adrian Wong, the author of 'The BIOS Optimization Guide' about the Cas latency:

This controls the time delay (in clock cycles - CLKs) that passes before the SDRAM starts to carry out a read command after receiving it. This also determines the number of CLKs for the completion of the first part of a burst transfer. In other words, the lower the latency, the faster the transaction.
Note that some SDRAM modules may not be able to handle the lower latency and will become unstable and lose data. Therefore, set the SDRAM CAS Latency Time to 2 for optimal performance if possible but increase it to 3 if your system becomes unstable.
Interestingly, increasing the CAS latency time does have an advantage in that it will enable the SDRAM to run at a higher clockspeed, thereby giving you an edge in overclocking your system. So, if you hit a snag while overclocking, try increasing the CAS latency time.

I hope it helps you ;)

>> So, if you hit a snag while overclocking, try increasing the CAS latency time. <<

I haven't, but out of sheer curiousity, how do you increase the CAS latency time? In the BIOS?

Yes, it is, but there are a lot of other parameter related into the Bios, so I suggest you to check this link to D/L the Adrian Wong BIOS Optimization Guide, that I found really interesting, even if generic ;)

It's a pleasure for me Garfield :)
sorry, but now I need to go to sleep, coz in here is one hour past the midnight! :eek: and tomorrow morning.....:rolleyes:

Since when is 30% not a lot?

Going from PC 100 to PC 133 was also 33%

Going from a 1Ghz to 1.33Ghz is my old computer plus my current computer

Going from $50k to $65k is a neat little car!!

Going from C+ to A+ is how good I am in Spanish compared to how good I am in Physics!

Maybe he's comparing DDR(333)'s 30% physical increase to DDR(200/266)'s theoretical 100% increase. Of course for all this to work what we really need is 333 CPUs.

Last edited:
Ugmore Baggage said:
Since when is 30% not a lot?

Going from PC 100 to PC 133 was also 33%

Going from a 1Ghz to 1.33Ghz is my old computer plus my current computer

Going from $50k to $65k is a neat little car!!

Going from C+ to A+ is how good I am in Spanish compared to how good I am in Physics!

Maybe he's comparing DDR(333)'s 30% physical increase to DDR(200/266)'s theoretical 100% increase. Of course for all this to work what we really need is 333 CPUs.

I don't know if it was mentioned before in this thread (Hehe, short term memory), it is because their just comparing stock speeds, as overclockers, its no biggie, we already reached there. Infact I've hit it, many overclockers hit it.

Overclocking and setting it to CAS2 would make a bigger hit, wheres your overclocking it.

I have my Crucial PC2100 @ DDR333, well 342 to be exact.

>> I have my Crucial PC2100 @ DDR333, well 342 to be exact. <<

How did you get this number/overclock of your ram? Is this done by simply raising the FSB? What's the divider on RAM?

Back