• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a suitable processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

naif

Hello OCForums!

I am looking to get a new desktop computer assembled which I'll be using for work. The applications I use regularly include Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver (CS5) and a local web server stack which is used for development.

I am unable to decide which processor and motherboard I should go for. I am not biased towards Intel or AMD so I am willing to go with either.

Basically, I am looking for a processor which won't be overkill for my purposes. I don't want to waste money on something I might not be utilizing fully.

At the moment I have Intel Pentium G620 and Intel Core i3 2100 on my list for processors and Intel DH67CL for motherboard. The G620 has 2 cores and 2 threads where as the i3 2100 has 2 cores and 4 threads.

Are cores and threads going to matter for me or are they only used by resource intensive applications?

If they are going to, would an AMD alternative like AMD A6-3500/AMD Phenom II X4 955/965/970 BE be better?

I really have no problem in spending extra if the extra power will be utilized. Other components which I have selected are as follows:

RAM: Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333 MHz
HDD: Seagate 1 TB
ODD: ASUS SATA DVD-Writer
PSU: Corsair CX430 V2
Case: Cooler Master Elite 343
Keyboard & Mouse: Microsoft Combo
Monitor: Dell ST2220L

I look forward to your responses!

Best Regards,
-- Naif

Personally, I'd go AMD for low-mid or Intel for mid-high. Photoshop is (afaik) multithreaded, and will make use of nVidia GPUs, so I'd be tempted to go for the cheapest possible quad core, plus a mid-range nVidia card, like a 540 or 550. That way you keep costs down and make sure you don't go overkill.

Hello OCForums!

I am looking to get a new desktop computer assembled which I'll be using for work. The applications I use regularly include Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver (CS5) and a local web server stack which is used for development.

I am unable to decide which processor and motherboard I should go for. I am not biased towards Intel or AMD so I am willing to go with either.

Basically, I am looking for a processor which won't be overkill for my purposes. I don't want to waste money on something I might not be utilizing fully.

At the moment I have Intel Pentium G620 and Intel Core i3 2100 on my list for processors and Intel DH67CL for motherboard. The G620 has 2 cores and 2 threads where as the i3 2100 has 2 cores and 4 threads.

Are cores and threads going to matter for me or are they only used by resource intensive applications?

If they are going to, would an AMD alternative like AMD A6-3500/AMD Phenom II X4 955/965/970 BE be better?

I really have no problem in spending extra if the extra power will be utilized. Other components which I have selected are as follows:

RAM: Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333 MHz
HDD: Seagate 1 TB
ODD: ASUS SATA DVD-Writer
PSU: Corsair CX430 V2
Case: Cooler Master Elite 343
Keyboard & Mouse: Microsoft Combo
Monitor: Dell ST2220L

I look forward to your responses!

Best Regards,
-- Naif

IMHO you would be happier with an i5 bare minimum. My friend has an i3 & the performance it not up to par. I use Photoshop at least 2-3 hours a day regularly for work along with video editing & gaming here & there. I am glad that I did and I went with the i5 2500K which is unlocked so you can overclock it. I see a big diff running it stock at 3.3ghz vs 4.4ghz with Photoshop/Video Editing Software. It just seems to plow through quicker.

Trust me not a waste of money ;) you will agree. The fine folks on this forum helped me decide wisely.

Also what are your motherboard options so far?

...Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver (CS5) and a local web server stack which is used for development.

I have a friend or two who use Photoshop/Dreamweaver, and they all told me what a huge difference i5 makes in addition to 8GB RAM.

So, I'd highly suggest getting a 2500k ad 4GB more of ram [should be cheap, $20]. I don't recommend 2600k as I remember it not being better then 2500k in photoshop.

And lastly, a SSD will help.

I have a friend or two who use Photoshop/Dreamweaver, and they all told me what a huge difference i5 makes in addition to 8GB RAM.

So, I'd highly suggest getting a 2500k ad 4GB more of ram [should be cheap, $20]. I don't recommend 2600k as I remember it not being better then 2500k in photoshop.

And lastly, a SSD will help.

+1 agree with you on the SSD & Ram.... I have 16gb's & it moves happily & to the OP I just loaded those same programs on my OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and all I can say is oh OMG!:escape:

Personally, I'd go AMD for low-mid or Intel for mid-high. Photoshop is (afaik) multithreaded, and will make use of nVidia GPUs, so I'd be tempted to go for the cheapest possible quad core, plus a mid-range nVidia card, like a 540 or 550. That way you keep costs down and make sure you don't go overkill.

This.

I use a Phenom for Those and other Adobe products, its WAY more then adequate, granted mine is 6 core but a 4 core will do a Stella job of it, if you want to spend more money an i5 2500K will be the faster option.

Back