• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

banzask

Hello, i currently have a AMD Athlon x2 250 cpu and i starting to strugle playing games and doing my work on it and i want to upgrade it but i dont have to much money to spend so i am wondering which cpu would be the best and cheapest to buy even if it means getting a new mother board with a intel socket and where from? i will be doing games development on it and i can not run the cry engine on this one so it is essential could you please help thanks

Some good budget options for gaming (around $100-150) are the quad-core AMD Llano APUs and FX-4100, and on the Intel side of things there's the dual core i3 2100, i3 2120, and i3 2130.

If you're on a really tight budget, the Llano APUs have decent integrated graphics in them which can run games on lower-mid settings, and are backed by moderately powerful processors (the quad-core A6 or A8s).

If you have a little more money to spare or already have a graphics card that you can use that's more powerful than an HD 6550, then I'd personally go with the FX-4100. It hasn't failed me yet, and can perform in modern games just as well as an i5 2500K.

What motherboard do you currently have? I was curious because it might be compatible with the FX-4100 (you might have to update your BIOS with your current chip first)

Last edited:
thanks i have Asus M4N68T-M-LE-V2 motherboard which has only am3 socket so i dont the the fx will work will it ? i was looking that them before and for the apu i would need to change motherboard beacause if i am right it needs fm1 socket i have am3

Last edited:
It doesn't look like your board supports FX processors, and the APUs do take an FM1 socket. It looks like your best and cheapest option is to get a good quad core Phenom. They're still in the same pricerange and will work with your board.

thank you for your help one last thing what do you think of AMD Quad Core Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3?

Sounds good to me if you've found one in your budget! They're a little harder to come by since they stopped production for the FX series.

found one that i can afford so will try it out thanks for the help :) i was wondering why i couldnt find many my self

Back