• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low profile card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

Hello guys and gals. I am looking to get a low profile card for my gfs older dell computer. Want to mostly use it to stream music. A few things I want to be careful of. First, I have heard, read, and experienced personally issues with drivers with lower quality card. Want to avoide that. Second I really would want an hdmi connector on the back. I like it because it allows for audio and video so I can just plug it into my reciever and go. So most likely looking at AMD. Any recommendations for a good low profile card with minimal risk of driver issues and hdmi connector? Anyone have good personal experience with one in an htc?

Hello guys and gals. I am looking to get a low profile card for my gfs older dell computer. Want to mostly use it to stream music. A few things I want to be careful of. First, I have heard, read, and experienced personally issues with drivers with lower quality card. Want to avoide that. Second I really would want an hdmi connector on the back. I like it because it allows for audio and video so I can just plug it into my reciever and go. So most likely looking at AMD. Any recommendations for a good low profile card with minimal risk of driver issues and hdmi connector? Anyone have good personal experience with one in an htc?

Well this is the wrong section but I recommemd the low ptofile Sapphire 6670.

http://hwbot.org/search/submissions...&_imageAttached=on&_videoAttached=on&offset=0

The highest 430 I saw was 1466. Dont get me wrong this is OCd but still it smashes the 430.

EDIT. Raident that card is not low profile.

Last edited:
yea stay away from the GT520 as it only has 48sp vs the GT430's 96 sp. the main difference between the two from a BD play back standpoint. is that the GT500's have a updated VP engine for higher bit-rate movies.

*im calling it VP for video processing. it could be the actual name, but i forgot if they do and really dont feel like googling the actual name*

either ATI or NV cards will work, neither in the low end will have driver problems. as you can see by my sig i have a GT430 in a mIT mobile based setup. have the card do pass thru to the receiver and let it do the decoding. everything will be 2.0 when using the pass thu that is all windows sounds music. if using a BD player and you tell it to let the reciever to decode then you have 5.1,7.1. not hard to setup at all.

i have used my now gone ATI 4850 and ATI6950, comparing all three from what i have seen. i would take the ATI for IQ reasons, maybe i need a higher SP NV card but im happy with the current ATI card for gaming.

now i would second archers recommendation, however you didnt say anything about gaming. which then leads to suggest this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102934
i would have suggested a ATI 5xxx but the one i would have linked to cost the same as the one above. only difference is 320sp on the 5k to 480 sp on the 6k.

Thanks for all the input guys. Yes i will not be gaming at all on this system. It's only purpose will be to listen to music and stream videos. I do like the 6xxx card, it's priced well. I'll check our the 5xxx one as well. Correct me if I am wrong but those nvidia cards don't have hdmi anywhere on them and thus can not generate audio, am I correct?

Thanks for all the input guys. Yes i will not be gaming at all on this system. It's only purpose will be to listen to music and stream videos. I do like the 6xxx card, it's priced well. I'll check our the 5xxx one as well. Correct me if I am wrong but those nvidia cards don't have hdmi anywhere on them and thus can not generate audio, am I correct?

The do not have an audio codec and use a pass thru.

if we are talking about the ones above ie the GT430 and GT520. they do have HDMI that does pass audio through to the reciever just like the ati cards. either that or im completely missing what your talking about.

if we are talking about the ones above ie the GT430 and GT520. they do have HDMI that does pass audio through to the reciever just like the ati cards. either that or im completely missing what your talking about.

You are correct; in fact, I use several GT430's to power my htpc's, as well as other family members; just remember to enable audio through the hdmi cable in the nvidia control panel.

The price rang I'm looking at is 50 or below. There really is little point to spend more.

Back