• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which CPU is better and faster overall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

My work is upgrading some systems and I'm going to buy a few of their older system for my younger siblings and relatives. So I would like to know in what order are the fastest ones?

Thank you.

1. Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
  2. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 2.13Ghz
  3. Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.80Ghz
  4. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.7 Ghz
  5. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.20Ghz

1. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 2.13Ghz
2. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.7 Ghz
3. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.20Ghz
4. Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.80Ghz
5. Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz

1. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 2.13Ghz
2. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.7 Ghz
3. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.20Ghz
4. Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.80Ghz
5. Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz

Also, which one is better than my CPU?

im on a 10 yr old p4 right now (im guessing it's that old i have no idea lol) and im pulling my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want my amd back i think intel is cool but amd is awsome the reason why is ummm a price of there chips if they get there a8 series to perform like a i5 on the cpu side and there gpu when paired with another graphics card perfom like 1 and a half 6870 everyone would flock to them wouldnt they especially if they were still the same price as right now?

im on a 10 yr old p4 right now (im guessing it's that old i have no idea lol) and im pulling my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want my amd back i think intel is cool but amd is awsome the reason why is ummm a price of there chips if they get there a8 series to perform like a i5 on the cpu side and there gpu when paired with another graphics card perfom like 1 and a half 6870 everyone would flock to them wouldnt they especially if they were still the same price as right now?

an a8 would perform like an i5? do you mean they have the same performance? btw which generation of i5 are you talking about? :shock:

:rofl: an A8 is not faster than a 2nd gen I5 unless we're compairing their performance at idling or using integrated graphics.

before critizing someone i suggest you guys actually read his post. he said he will stick with amd but would like to see them perform on the same level as 2nd gen i5. he would also like to see the onboard gpu have the performance of a 1.5x that of the 6870. he thinks it would sell really well if such a monster came from amd at the same price as the A8(now is there more then one A8, i dont know. i could google but i have otherthings to worry about). im not sure how things got lost in translation.

Sorry if my response seemed harsh or anything.

The idea of buying a board for future upgrade-ability is defiantly a viable one but I caution doing it with far-reaching upgrade-ability. While it's true that that there were many AM3 boards that were able to accept Bulldozer many more were not even high end ones. I actually fell into that trap with AMD and AM3 in the end my board did not gain a bios update and I ended up selling the machine because there was no future in the socket.

At this point AM4 (or whatever they will call it) is so far away purchasing a board because they hope that that future design will be compatible with their now AM3+ or FM1 socket is just bad planning I think. While it's true that if AMD could come up with a processor that was as fast as an I5 that came with integrated graphics on par or around a radeon 6870's level people would love it by the time they get to this level of performance I suspect a few years will have gone by.

Finally again I am sorry if I seemed harsh but again, it's not going to happen any time soon. I could say that it would be great if someone purchased the name 3DFX from Nvidia and started the company back up again with a video card that was twice as fast as the GTX 680 but I don't see that happening either. :) It would be nice to have a 3rd player in the market though......

Yeah, BIOS updates are in the hand of the mainboard manufacturers unfortunately. I'm cheap when it comes to CPU/mainboard choice. I always go mid range to higher end boards and AMD's cheaper with that (more features for the price). CPU performance is probably the least important aspect of a system to me as my system is lightning quick anyway. The SSD and video card make the biggest difference.

No matter which way you look at it, AMD buyers are wither value conscious buyers or fanboys..... I used to be the former, though these days I suspect I've become the latter.... I have a hard time even conceiving of my buying an Intel chip.

Oh I agree. I was a long time AMD user until recently. My Clevo laptop is Intel because thats what it is and it was an amazing deal 2 years ago when I got it (solider deploying wanted to sell it to get money for a smaller laptop, ended up trading an HP laptop and 600$ for it and it STILL rocks hard to this day, it's my main work computer) and the Q9550 I actually found in the trash. It was a cyberpower machine that didn't work. I pulled it out, messed with the ram sticks and it suddenly came to life. I was like "HELL YEA", great machine for free! Why someone would just toss a machine like this........

Anyways I was building a machine for my GF to use and went Intel simply because the G850 crushed AMD from the price/performance point of view AND the 1155 socket would give me a better upgrade path than AMD is currently offering.

I mean look at it like this. If 1155 dies at the end of the year and I get an IB processor to drop in it but AM3+ hangs around for 2 years and by the end of the 2nd year they have a processor that can compete with my year old IB then really which socket had more staying power?

there are two A8 Chips, note these are FM1 socket and even crossfire with a 6670 fall behind a HD 6750 or HD7750.
Trinity, the next desktop APU will be FM2, new socket new chip.
The problem putting higher GPUs on chip are heat and memory. APUs use shared memory at DDR3 competing with DDR5.
I do not know the heat envelope of a 6870 GPU but shudder to think of it on a CPU Chip.
AMD needs a new architecture, not Bulldozer, to raise APU CPU performance, and higher end GPU still would involve serious heat /memory/shared resource issues.

Lately the GPUs have been evolving faster than CPUs, and hopefully will continue to do so. APUs will remain a bargain box value option.

Z77 Ivy Bridge may change your mind. For what I do, need, Sandy Bridge is fine and buries Bulldozer.
I may put FM1 in to upgrade some older computer cases. Maybe. And maybe a Celeron 520 and H61 are good enough and cheaper.

Last edited:
Back