• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED help upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jheb0y

Registered
hi there. my friend wants to upgrade his system and i have no idea where to start can you pls help him. heres the info.

intel dual core e5300
asus p5kpl
2gb ddr2 800 ram
160gb hdd

budget 6000php

thanx a lot to those will help

Last edited:
Not enough info. How much is the budget? What is he using it for? Does he play games?

thanx for replying yes hes playing a little games but not hard core gaming he usualy use his computer for work (mastercam x5 app) do we have any good choices rather than building a new system? thanx

asus p5kpl as a board model number is n0t enough information really. I see that board in at least 4 models of asus p5kpl.

asus p5kpl-CM
asus p5kpl-SE
asus p5kpl-1600
asus p5kpl-AM
asus p5kpl-AM SE

So the model needs to be verfied more exactly.

Master cam does not take a bunch of power. Has he overclocked?

A core 2 quad will run on that board.

Is he just looking to upgrade CPU? I don't see a video card listed in the specs, so I'm guessing gaming is really not important to him.

As stated up above, Mastercam isn't to tough of a load even for an E5300. To give you good advice on that, really do need more info on what exactly he wants out of it.

If the machine is just becoming sluggish, more than likely a format/OS reload will solve that. He'd have to do that more than likely with a new CPU anyway so might as well try it now if that's the case. If a general, non-gamer, non-cruncher user tells me their machine is sluggish, first thing I do is format/reload OS. 9 of 10 times it's like getting a new computer for them.

well then if he wants to go into gaming he just need a gpu? what gpu would be nice for his system? thanx for the tip!

An SSD will make the most noticeable difference to with general every day use. Personally I find it hard to recommend less than a 120GB drive as he'll run into space issues if he's not careful.

Last edited:
You just have to get one of the last generation SATA2 SSD's. I know these are stil being sold around and about

OCZ 120G Vertex II SSD 3.5 is a SATA2 SSD

Rule of thumb is use the SSD for the OS and apps, though use a good old fashioned hard drive for data/movies/music etc

That drive sells in Australia right now for about $180, not sure where you're from so I don't know what its costs where you are. If you're in the US then Newegg would be the easiest place to look for these.

Last edited:
well that will be the problem parts availabity here are very rare! but ill try my best to find one! will it just be plug and play?

that will be 7560php. here!

what about the gpu can suggest 1 that is good enough for the system.

Last edited:
Yup, plug it in, BIOS detects, then you end up reinstalling Windows and all your software..... If thats what you mean by plug n play

I'd say a GTX460 aught to do whatever he wants, or maybe even a HD6850. As you said, he's not a serious gamer.

If he's not a SERIOUS gamer.. A HD 6770 offers good bang/buck as well. Will run most games at 1080p or less at medium settings with AA off no sweat.

I'd personally still avoid any and all OCZ SSDs.. Haha.

How much does an Intel 320 SSD cost over there? This is a very reliable SSD.. And probably costs a good deal more.. But who knows.

SATAIII drives work fine on SATAII and so does SATAI There is no need to look for a II to match the SATAII interface.

A 6770 is a good bang as I believe the CPU will prevent full utilization of more powerful cards.

Back