• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What cpu will an SE440BX support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beeg1

I would like to up grade my old system . I am at 450 mhz now and would like to know , what cpu I can run without too much trouble . I have an P2 450 and would like to step up [P3]?

BX or BX-2

If u have a BX, u may use only P-II/450. Last BIOS 12.
If u have a BX-2 board and BIOS 17, u may use P-III 850.
Check your board and remember board ID. Now have a look to Intel homePage and board specification. No on every BX-2 works 850. Oldest boards supports onlu 650.

Wrong

I hate to tell you guys this, but you are all wrong. The Intel SE440BX will accept a Celeron III 550 processor. I ran the mobo on one for three weeks solid.

It was a socket 370 processor on a slot 1 adapter board from Tekram.

I flashed this mobo with the latest bios update from Intel and it took off and flew. The processor was identified as "To Be Announced."

I suspect that the mobo will take even better processors but I haven't had the money or the time to find out. A Celery 550 on a slot 1 adapter board will work great tho.

--LX

Back