• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holey chip! IBM drills holes into optical chip for terabit-per-second speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
soon you wont need a pc. just a monitor and mouse/keyboard. all your stuff will be online, it will be more of an option and you can always have the fastest gaming pc from a wire. im almost 100% sure this will happen

soon you wont need a pc. just a monitor and mouse/keyboard. all your stuff will be online, it will be more of an option and you can always have the fastest gaming pc from a wire. im almost 100% sure this will happen

Yet, you'll still need a PC to get that information from the Cloud, won't you?

Plus, it'd be a heck of a load to host all that data there and move it... But I guess, back then when 8MiB of memory was completely awesome, and premium, and luxurious, they wouldn't have imagined that now a days we're rocking 16GiBs, or like hokie is, 32GiB.

You'd still need some kind of client anyway.

yeah it will be a little box to connect all your stuff and you will never need to upgrade, im talking 15 to 20 years from now when data load wont be a issue. We the people are now just starting to learn the alien language, i know this sounds crazy but i think they sent us the blue prints for processing data "digital"

NO!! Then where will we, overclockers, and enthusiasts, and benchers, go? :cry:
There will always be something to overclock. I remember when people were yelling about the end of the world with i7 and it not being overclock-able. :rolleyes:

i think it will be an option for the people who dont want to deal with a pc box

The idea is already here, that's for sure when it comes to virtual desktops for typical computing. While doing 3D isn't there yet, with technology like this and extremely fast Internet connections, it could certainly be a reality some day.

Yet, you'll still need a PC to get that information from the Cloud, won't you?

Plus, it'd be a heck of a load to host all that data there and move it... But I guess, back then when 8MiB of memory was completely awesome, and premium, and luxurious, they wouldn't have imagined that now a days we're rocking 16GiBs, or like hokie is, 32GiB.

You'd still need some kind of client anyway.

Oh come on, you can totally use IPMI / KVM over IP :fight:

It was only a matter of time before we get to terabits, now we need petabits and we'll be set :D

you will see a big drop in hardware sales :( sucks but its going to happen, even windows and osx

^ based on the future, if ''they'' dont do it then i will, so its easy as that. someone will have high end 3D gaming on the internet sooner or later. i say come back to this thread in about 10 years and if im wrong then im sorry, I feel that it makes so much sense

but I don't think people will really want that someone may offer but will people want it is the question I don't think the home computer would ever go away. there are a good group of people including me who hate the whole cloud idea so i still don't think and hope that would never happen.

You do also need to consider that PCs won't completely go away. I am sure there are still plenty of places in the US that you can't even get any sort of decent high speed internet, not to mention enough bandwidth to run a 3D game in the cloud. Having a massive high speed infrastructure like that certainly wouldn't be cheap in such a large country as the US. Now in Japan on the other hand...

this reminds me of when Steve jobs said that everyone will have a computer in the future and people laughed, same goes for Bill gates. ill make sure ill put my money in stocks when its in prototype

Our infrastructure in the US is decades old and lagging behind, with less and less investment. Even if we had the technology, we'd have to get the infrastructure rolled out.

i love reading about stuff that is too complicated for me to understand. well, i might not understand it but it still seems pretty cool

Back