• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newer P3V4X...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Has to do with the clock generator. It's up to the right of the DIMM slots. The older boards (same 1.02 revision) had ICS chips and would show 166 (I think) in the BIOS. The newer ones (that come in the purple box) have the Winbond chip that only does 150.

It's like the P4T-E boards again, the earlier boards are more desirable. I'm here in Japan and they sell lots of used boards so I check to be sure I get an older board. In the US you're out of luck unless someone on Ebay can check for you (but bet he will raise the price).

probably but youd need mad soldering skills also im not sure if the P3V4X could actually make it past 150 even with the old one maybe it jsut showed it in the bios?

Thanks funnyperson1... wouldn't happen to know what all those bios settings mean do you. I'm totally lost in the chipset configuration. Know of any links to explain some of them better?

well i dont have a link but i looked at Roajkpots bios explanation site, and found that most of the setings dont matter here aret the ones that do:

fsb/PCI (you knoiw tht one)

DRAM clock ratio (ive found that Auto works best and boot problems ensue other wise, but what it does is makes the ram either 3/4 the system frequncy or 1 times the fsb)

Cas settings-2,2,2 is best performance, but 3,3,3 can be more stable depending on ram quality, and theres another Cas/Ras thing that should be set to 5/7 for optimum performance

AGP Aperture-not really needed with a good video card(64mb), but you can change the amount of memory available to video card

AGP fast writes- does not really increase performance but it can cause instability depending on video card

also in the power management you can make your comp turn on through key board or lan (really cool in my opinion)

you can change the UDMA settings of your drives through general properties....

the rest you really are better leaving on default or auto, if you have any other q's about other questions shoot and ill try to answer...

Looking at your sig, I would assume that is the MB you are asking about.

Let me take a look at what my P3-800@928 settings are:

I'm running the 1006.003 bios on my MB.

---All this is in the advanced screen----
CPU Speed "Manual"
CPU Multiple "8.0x" <--cant change this
System/PCI Speed "114" <-- slowly working my way up :)
* System SDRAM Ratio "1/1"
CPU Vcore "1.75V"
* CPU Level 1 Cache "Enabled"
* CPU Level 2 Cache "Enabled"
* CPU Level 2 Cache ECC "Disabled"
---Chipset Configuration Submenu ---
* SDRAM Config "User Define"
* CAS "2"
* RAS "2"
* RAS to CAS "2"
* Active to Precharge "5"
* Read around Write "Enabled"
* CPU-DRAM Back to Back "Enabled"
* Delayed Transaction "Disabled"
* PCI to DRAM Prefetch "Disabled"
Byte Merge "Disabled"

The items with the * are the ones you should try changing first.
Write down your original settings, just in case of any problems, so you can revert back.

If you decide to O/C the CPU, make sure you have very good cooling on the CPU. I went as far as removing the "greenie" chipset heatsink, and putting A/S on it, then reinstalling. I also put a small heatsink on the ICS clock generator chip. I used to have a 133FSB CPU that ran great at 150 FSB, and the clock chip used to get very hot at that speed.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Coolness... thanks guys... mucho appreciated :D I think I'll add some asII to the chipset tonight... and do some more fan rearranging.

Speaking of the devil, had trouble setting up my my high end Athlon system (something wrong with my A7V133 board), so I stuck in a used P3V4X board I got for $29 here in Japan. It has the ICS chip and I can see the FSB settings above 150 but frankly, as Funnyperson was saying, it isn't easy getting a chip that high anyway.

One thing more: do a search for George Breese's memory interleave mod; somebody mentioned it on this forum a while back. I notice my board is stuck at 2x interleave and unlike boards with newer BIOSs, you can't set it to 4x. This should improve your Sandra memory scores significantly. VIA Apollo boards really need help in the memory department.

The board came with the 1.005 BIOS but Wookie8662 has a newer BIOS so I think there is a beta 1.006a BIOS floating around, probably at the German Asus site.

I see why the P3V4X is still popular: after 'succeeding' the 440BX, it runs your AGP at 4x, allows you to run your PCI bus in spec, and is a nice compact board. Can't get higher than 144 FSB on a flipchip 600E I'm running, but totally stable in 3D. I'm getting pretty good HD benches on my 60GXP too, so the ATA66 controller on the board ain't bad.

Mod? I have 4 way right now... but when I set my agp to 2x or change the some other setting in the bios... it sets to 2 way... whats the mod? And the other reason I want the other clock gen chip is it has several other settings right around where I'm at now (112 FSB)... I don't like pushing this straight to 115 as it's just a funky number... processor at 115 is 922 :rolleyes: I'd like to get a better number... also it has FSB's in smaller intervals over 133... where as mine just does 133, 140, then 150 :(

i think it was me that actually posted the 4-way interleave thing wait a sec, that file forces 4-way interleave on the mobo ...its a Via proggy...

Coolness... thanks funnyperson1... you da man :D

So this will force it when it says 2 way... or will it just make sure it ALWAYS 4 way?

RainMaQer said:
Mod? I have 4 way right now... but when I set my agp to 2x or change the some other setting in the bios... it sets to 2 way... whats the mod? And the other reason I want the other clock gen chip is it has several other settings right around where I'm at now (112 FSB)... I don't like pushing this straight to 115 as it's just a funky number... processor at 115 is 922 :rolleyes: I'd like to get a better number... also it has FSB's in smaller intervals over 133... where as mine just does 133, 140, then 150 :(

dude that does suck i have the old school version and it has 133/135/138/140/142/144/146/148/150/160/166....now why would they ruin such an awesome ocers board in the second revision?

funnyperson1 said:

dude that does suck i have the old school version and it has 133/135/138/140/142/144/146/148/150/160/166....now why would they ruin such an awesome ocers board in the second revision?

I wanna cry :( I want those other FSB's... so bad I can taste it... I'm half tempted to see if someone in the classifieds would trade me :D

My board runs at 4X AGP but interleave is 2X. I'm gonna try the memory interleaver tonight. I found George Breese's web site, it is here:

http://www.networking.tzo.com/net/software/

RainMaQer, are you sure you only see 133, 140, and 150??? Shades of a P3B-F! Can anybody else with a Winbond clock generator board confirm this?

Maybe one of the beta BIOS might fix the problem? I don't think the P3V4X offers a jumper option.

Yep... I remember those numbers VERY well... The only FSB my P3B-F didn't have was 120... but it had all the others. I almost feel like I'm on the same mobo sometimes :D

I'm currently using bios 1006 beta 3... it came like this. I tried a couple others and got errors during post.

I have a P3V4X w/ 133, 140 and 150 FSB being the only OC options for a 133FSB coppermine. Running BIOS version 1005, I think.

RainMaQer, your old P3B-F does have an option for FSB = 120. :)

Yeah, same FSB options as a P3B-F, what a bummer. I thought the Winbond chip board would only show 150, but I figured all the other multipliers were there. I checked the manual for using jumper mode, but since you only have 4 jumpers to set, it doesn't allow enough permutations to get more settings. That's why on the later Asus motherboards (like the P4T-E), you have 6 jumpers available for setting FSB/PCI.

I tried the latest version (0.15) of George Breese's memory interleave enabler and it worked pretty well on my P3V4X. It set the ram to 4X interleave, my AGP is still running at 4X, and it boosted my Sandra memory scores by about 15%. Not bad.

Back