• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just ordered 2.0a/th7-II/2x 128 samsung

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pgiinc

Registered
i got a 77 bios of here and should i flash it right away?i am geting it from googlegear,what bios ver do you think it will have?and what do you think i can get out of this rig?
please wish me luck
thanks for any help here any ideas and bios setups i need would be very much big help
:beer: :beer:

If it's the first TH7-II version it'll have the "37" BIOS, but if it's the newer version of the mobo, it'll have the "38" BIOS. If you have the older "37" BIOS, then it won't support the Northwood, so you'll have to flash it right away (it works, but will give you a weird clock speed on boot up).

How far you can overclock it depends a lot on your cooling. Generally, those 2.0a will do at least 2.4 to 2.5 gig on average. If you get a good CPU and have great cooling, it'll probably go higher. Look at my signature, I have a similar rig and have reached 2.6 gig so far, but voltage is a little high at that speed.

I going to flash it with the 77 bios to get the volts to go higher.
what volts do you have yours running?and how to did get them higher by bios or wire?:cool: :cool:

Go with the wire. The 77 bios will only get you to 1.85 which is really 1.78 or so. I also found the 77 bios to be less overclocking friendly, so stay with the 38.

Well show me were to get the info on the wire trick.like pictures and details instructions
thanks
did you do yours?

I also found the 77 bios to be less overclocking friendly, so stay with the 38.

I have my TH7II-Raid with a 1.8A running at a 146fsb which equals 2637Mhz. I am using the "77" bios with the voltage at 1.85 and I have not noticed any instability with the bios.
I also have 2 sticks of PC800 256Mb Samsung with ECC and while they are currently running at 438Mhz they have run very stable at 533Mhz. I wanted the increase in Processor speed from 2.4 to 2.6 so I was willing to sacrifice a little mem speed.

All that considered, you may still want to wire wrap those pins because even if you don't think that you will want to overclock that far now, trust me, once you start you will only want more.:)

Make sure you have excellent cooling before bumping up the voltage. By using the "77" BIOS, I was able to reach 2.5 gig at the 1.85v BIOS setting (really about 1.75v measured). To hit 2.6 gig, I had to wire wrap all four pins and use a setting of 1.95v (really about 1.85v). Not sure it was really worth it, except I was determined to reach my 2.6 gig goal. I'm too scared to run that high of a voltage for long periods of time and I had to back off the RAM setting to "300" (3XFSB) to make it stable which cost me memory benchmarks. That said, I'm hoping more burn-in time will allow me to lower the voltage a bit at the same speed. I might try playing with the memory to find a better combination. I have 4 sticks of 128 meg Samsung, but I'm only using 2 sticks right now. Maybe the other two sticks will overclock better? Right now, 2.5 gig that I normally run at is a better compromise for me (and more peace of mind). Here is a link that documents my wire wrap adventures.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=67538

Last edited:
I found with the 77 bios that I needed more volts to reach the same levels as with the 38 bios. Very strange. For example - I could run 2.4 stable at 1.55 with the 38, but with the 77, I needed 1.65.

To each his own, but the way I look at it, if you wire the pins, what advantage does the 77 bios provide?

Back