• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy alternative of a thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dead_sincebirth

Hi, guys today i am gona tell you about how to make a thermalpaste if u somehow don't find one i have tried this and this really worked out for me.
to make a thermal paste you need following items
1. Normal toothpaste (prefferably mint)
2. Mucaine syrup which is used to treat heartburns, dyspepesia, acidity etc ( Aluminium gel , magnesium hydroxide) you can also use any milk of magnesia which should have the components i listed in the second option bracketts above.

took one half tea spoon of paste and one half tea spoon of Mucaine syrup mix them well untill a pastey substance forms now store it in an airtight bottle and keep it in ur refigurator's vegetable compartment (dont freez it). your thermal paste is ready ...

when you need it to apply just put about a little more than the pea size of this paste on the center of base of ur stockcooler or cpucooler spread its thin film all over the base (i used hyper 212 evo for experimenting) and put it on your processor gently and then fix it
note : many people apply thermalpastes directly on there processors i don't recomend this because a thermal paste consists of mettalic or silicon gels which can find there way down from the sides of processor to the mainboard causing motherboard to get short.

i used following rig for experiment:
i5,2500k @ stock values . asus p8z68-v-delux . 1600mhz corsair 8GB at xmp , coolermaster silentpro 850 watts psu , Antec 300

try this have fun cheers ............. :) :) :)

Actually, this isn't as crazy as it appears. With how thin TIM is to be applied, most any liquid or goo won't impede heat transfer too much. Your temps will suffer, but probably not enough to cause a meltdown[1]. Really, the thing I'd be most concerned about in any such "unconventional" TIM would be electrical conductivity ("syrup" has "water" written all over it).

[1]...unless you choose something spectacularly bad. Like e.g. a sheet of paper :facepalm:

JigPu

A lot of thermal paste has excellent electrical conductivity. Ceramic stuff is really the only exception. I'd be worried about the water separating and seeping, but at these temps, it would probably just turn to vapor. Hopefully, this doesn't create a pressure vessel on your CPU.

Toothpaste has been used as a TIM replacement around here for YEARS, also diaper rash cream has aluminum oxide in it and works pretty good too.

Hell you can spit on thing for a quick test there guys.

My issue is the crunchy factor. Hell we use tooth paste to fill nail holes in Army housing in Germany. Dries crunchy and god knows my maple syrup gets crusty around the cap as well.

I think it would do in a pinch but more that a week I would worry. As the mix dries it will contract and crack. This will leave gaps in the contact patch and heat levels will increase. Will it cook the CPU? Well I would not clock it much if that says anything.

Back