• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc boots only with OC (?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tefras

Registered
Hi guys,

Yesterday I had a peculiar issue with my pc and right now I'm not sure if its even the right category to address my issue, I apologize if not.

specs: 750HX, Asus p7p55 d-e evo m/b, intel i5-750 @ 4ghz (CM V8) ,Vengeance 8gb 1600, Radeon HD5850 gpu

I wanted to change the cpu fan in my V8 cooler so I took everything out, changed paste also, I was very careful with everything, however when I finished my pc wouldn't boot, initially. Win7 logo appeared and system freezes b4 entering windows showing the logo continously. Because my system was OC'd and after generally after hardware changes I turned it on after CMOS was cleaned (there is a reset feature and also tried removing the battery for some time) so as to have default bios settings for the 1st boot. But it wouldn't boot. After a couple of more efforts, (including some double-checking everything inside) I restored the bios to the OC'd settings that I used before and then it worked.

Everything like it was just with a small difference. Now when I reboot the system stops for a moment, by stops I mean everything, psu, fans, lights out, for a couple of seconds. And then turns on again. Plus when I want to shut it down it surely takes more time to turn off. I remember well that it was faster b4 the change and psu, fans wouldn't turn off when reboot for 1-2 secs. Also the cpu led flashes for a moment right before the pc boots again. I dont know whether or not its normal, hadn't really noticed, Ido know that all the other m/b led flash once in sequence as they are supposed to.

In windows everything works fine. Speed, temp readings normal and games, programs work perfect.
I havent tried to start the pc again with default bios settings, cause i'm afraid the system will freeze at logo. Also dont know what to think of with the changes in shuting down and rebooting.

Do I have to worry about anything you think?
Any thoughts appreciated

Are you very certain that you did not 'tweak' one of the pcu pins within the cpu socket? Sounds a little like the situation or the cpu is not flat in the socket.

You might try removing the battery for an hour at a minimum. Something is at issue about how the mobo bios is 'seeing' the cpu and what it should do with the cpu. That is why the double boot that you are seeing when you experience turn on turn off as you call it. That is really a 'silent' type of dual boot.

thanx for replying, I guess I'll have to check both the things you mentioned when I will again have some time to spare for this, however I am almost certain that no pins were tweaked inside the socket since I did not move the cpu from its place, I just lifted the load lever a bit .. As for the 1 hour minimum I'll do it and see. Will post when I have results..
thx again

However convinced that noone will read this, I'll write down that I decided instead of strippinig the case again to do some benchmarking and stress-testing. Prime95 run with no errors for a few hours and my 3dmark score was p19287 with the i5-750 OC'd @4GHZ and my 5850 @900,1200 w.1.200v(had recently installed aftermarket vga-cooler and decided to take advantage of it).. so probably I leave everything as is.. silent dual boot or not- either way it's a good 2,5 y.o. build and when I want something better I'll build a new one from the beginning.. FUN!:D

Back