• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much more performance would he get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shades

new member here! after looking around on various forms ive decided to join the OCF community to help my friend answer a question him and i have been wondering about. been looking around on google for a wile trying to find out a simple question. about a week ago my friend came to me asking to help him build his new comp we got it all built and runs great. now to the question is he mainly plays world of Warcraft and sometimes counter strike (even tho u could run counter strike on a calculator) being the main game WoW i see alot of people saying wow is a very CPU dependent game and to OC the CPU and all this. now say we did OC his 2500k to like 4.0 or 4.2 somewhere along thos lines would it really bring that much more fps? i see some people saying yes the difference was huge and some people saying nah like 1-5 fps more. dont really no what to belive. also i dont really want to just go and OC it and mess something up sense we basicly built his comp by watching guides online :chair: OCing seems way out of the ballpark for me. last thing i want to do is mess up his new comp. :-/

his computer
asrock extreme 4 gen 3
Cooler master 212
gtx 560
not sure on ram dont remember

Btw Im also new to this forum. Games are mostly bottlenecked by GPU. And yes overclocking will help increase your fps, but not much.

I played wow myself for about a year and what I noticed is that it was cpu dependant only when you're in a city around the auction house area, out in the wilds and such its uses the graphics card a lot more, there are some very good guides on these forums for beginner over clockers weather you use intel or AMD.

Give them a read sometime, you have a good cpu cooler which always helps and its free performance, but again the major places that an OC would make a difference in wow would be the major cities and some of the larger raids and battle grounds where there are a lot of people, in other places it does not use that much cpu power.

I played wow myself for about a year and what I noticed is that it was cpu dependant only when you're in a city around the auction house area, out in the wilds and such its uses the graphics card a lot more, there are some very good guides on these forums for beginner over clockers weather you use intel or AMD.

Give them a read sometime, you have a good cpu cooler which always helps and its free performance, but again the major places that an OC would make a difference in wow would be the major cities and some of the larger raids and battle grounds where there are a lot of people, in other places it does not use that much cpu power.

so pretty much its only cpu dependent around larger places with lots of people do you no how much more fps we would get tho? like 1-5 5-10? say from the stock speed to like 4.0

so pretty much its only cpu dependent around larger places with lots of people do you no how much more fps we would get tho? like 1-5 5-10? say from the stock speed to like 4.0

I would say about 5-10 fps or so, my cpu's are and always have been AMD but when I payed wow it was run on my current 955 at 3.8, so it should be better on the intel side since they do better on the less multi threaded applications.

Its pretty funny, I monitored my cpu/gup usage and out in places like goldshire and such the cpu would hover around 25-50% usage depending on how many people were there and cpu usage would be around 70-80% for both, go to stormwind and I would watch my cpu usage shoot up and my gpu usage drop down to 30%.

its like this for any mmo I've played once you go into a busy city.

Back