• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard bending - 4SDA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaosdriven

I finally got around to putting my 1.6a Northwood with retail HS/Fan on the 4SDA. A very tight mounting system, in fact I noticed what seems like very severe deformation of the motherboard.

The following two pictures illustrate.

Is this normal?

I'm afraid the motherboard will break!

:eek:

Last edited:
I've read about that kind of distortion in a heatsink review & it is one of the reasons I'm not going to use the stock HS when I build my next computer.
So to answer your question - Yes it is normal for the stock HS. Is it OK - who knows.

The motherboard mfg's know about it and say it's fine.
That's what a freind of mine said asus told him when he called them with concern because his P4-T was flexed.
The epox isn't the only board that does it :)

Last edited:
Re: im not sure about this...

Hellraiser said:
i have the same mobo ( without raid ) and it flexes just as much. i´m still concerned. it simply doest look healthy.

I agree. That much flex in a motherboard just doesn't look healthy. The Intel Heatsink Fan combo is also a little louder than I was expecting. It shouldn't take a fan with that much noise to cool a Northwood.

I've just ordered an Alpha. We'll see if it fixes the problem.

Re: Re: im not sure about this...

Morpheusman said:

It shouldn't take a fan with that much noise to cool a Northwood.

Do a little research. Northwoods running at 2.2 GHz draw about as much power as high-end AMD XP CPUs. So they run pretty hot. A Northwood running at 2.2 GHz with the core at 1.6V draws 83W max, which is about the same as an XP 1800+ @ 1.7 GHz with the core at 1.85V. So you really do need something better than that slow Intel fan if you'll be overclocking.

To all 4SDA+ owners:

can i lock AGP/PCI clock to 66/33 MHz with this board?
i know that the 4BDA with intel 845D chipset is able to do that but i´m not sure about the 4SDA ?

sry when this is an old question...i´ve searched the forum
but haven't found an answer...

thx

Luke

Back