• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the way CPUs are made/binned make anybody else angry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Imagine if you could, in any other industry, make five units of the same product on the same process then sell each for a wildly different price.

That's what CPU binning is, and it makes me mad.

You can have a 2600K. Or, for some extra money, you can have a 2600K where the 6 has been changed to a 7 because it'll overclock higher on less voltage.

X79 is just monstrous in this respect. Did you know that all X79 cpus are 8 core?

When all 8 cores work reliably it's a Xeon part.
When six cores work reliably and the CPU has a good overhead for overclocking, it's a 3930/60. When only four work reliably, its a 3820. Or they can just laser cut hither and yon as need be if production is short for any particular sku.

Does this bother anybody else?

"We baked this wafer of 180 cpu cookies. This cookie is $9, this one is $6 and this one is $3"

I understand why they do it, its just always made me mad.

It does not bother me in the slightest.
The alternative is for Intel (and company) to spend a lot more money designing different wafers, which would result in a far higher CPU price across the board.

You can have a 2600K. Or, for some extra money, you can have a 2600K where the 6 has been changed to a 7 because it'll overclock higher on less voltage.
2700K is no different than 2600k outside of the multiplier. Voltage is not less @ higher clocks consistently. Its still the luck of the draw.

X79 is just monstrous in this respect. Did you know that all X79 cpus are 8 core?
Nope. Link?

This doesnt bother me, no. It is what it is.

3820 is other chip than 3900 series, smaller die, 4 core and thats all

i think $1000 for a CPU is crazy
.....but i understand why they do make the same chip and set them diff
but 1k Cpu who ever thought to charge that much should be shot

Prove to me that 3930k and 3960x are failed 8 core parts please. A shot of the dies ought to do it.

fast google ...
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...core-i7-3820-sandy-bridge-e-cpu-review-2.html

"On a side note, the Core i7-3820 is actually based on a native quad-core die. Intel's modular die design allows it to easily add or substract parts, so it is quite easy for them to manufacture a seperate die instead of simply using six-core rejects. The fact that the i7-3820 is based on the different M1 stepping instead of C1 or C2 like the higher-end models also lends some credence to this assertion."

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-3820-processor-review/2

"Now we MUST mention that the Intel’s Core i7-3820 CPU is based on the Sandy Bridge-E die that packs “only” 1.27 billion transistors, compared to the 2.27 billion transistors found in Intel’s six-core parts. Together with the reduction in transistor count, the chip also has a smaller die that measures 294 square millimeters, making it roughly two thirds the size of the Core i7-3960X and i7-3930K (these chips measure 435mm2)."

Hmm, the quad core has two thirds the die size of the hex chip it has two thirds the cores of. Suggestive.

Little bit uneasy about it but I understand. CPUs are a different breed to make and produce than any other commodity. There are similar industry that practices the same practice. Car x is based on the same frame, transmission, engine, etc as car y. It's not that we have a lot of choice. A modern CPU or an Abacus, take your pick.

It doesn't bother me personally, but I was explaining it to my brother-in-law the other day and it made him angry.

Imagine if you could, in any other industry, make five units of the same product on the same process then sell each for a wildly different price.

That's what CPU binning is, and it makes me mad.

When all 8 cores work reliably it's a Xeon part.
When six cores work reliably and the CPU has a good overhead for overclocking, it's a 3930/60. When only four work reliably, its a 3820. Or they can just laser cut hither and yon as need be if production is short for any particular sku.

Does this bother anybody else?

"We baked this wafer of 180 cpu cookies. This cookie is $9, this one is $6 and this one is $3"

I understand why they do it, its just always made me mad.

How many "models" of "Insert car here" are available for different prices?

Bottom of the barrel no frills (equivalent to the "worst' bin) sells for X
AC, sunroof, another 50hp, etc ("middle" bin) sells for X + Y
Top of the line, nothing left out, it even includes 28 speakers, 10 TV's and goes 9003423 MPH ("best" bin) sells for OMGNOWAI!

How many times have the "worst" bin CPU's or Cars, been the ones that are the best sellers for the folks that want to make it better? Whether it is souping it up with upgraded components or OCing it under LN2?

How many "models" of "Insert car here" are available for different prices?

Bottom of the barrel no frills (equivalent to the "worst' bin) sells for X
AC, sunroof, another 50hp, etc ("middle" bin) sells for X + Y
Top of the line, nothing left out, it even includes 28 speakers, 10 TV's and goes 9003423 MPH ("best" bin) sells for OMGNOWAI!

How many times have the "worst" bin CPU's or Cars, been the ones that are the best sellers for the folks that want to make it better? Whether it is souping it up with upgraded components or OCing it under LN2?

I was thinking of mentioning a car analogy, but I was thinking more along the lines of "corporate cousins"; GM, Chrysler, and Ford corporations in particular, use mostly the same parts on different models of cars, but some of those cars are more expensive than the corporate counterparts. Like how a Cadillac Escalade ("best" bin) is basically the same as a GMC Denali ("middle" bin) or a Chevy Tahoe/Suburban ("worst" bin), the only real differences usually being with the badging, as well as headlights + front grille and/or tailights, and what comes standard on them (heated seats, leather, power windows + locks, Fred Flintstone brakes, etc...).

Look at Lexus and Toyota. Lexus vehicles are typically Toyota's with a nicer body kit and a few more bells and whistles. CPU's are no different. Unless you want to be angry at the world, maybe move past it :p

Back