• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which P4 Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xCarne_Asada

My dad wants to build my brothers new comp and he decided to go intel. He likes the MSI 845 Ultra-ARU, just because it has the raid feature. I peronally think he should buy the ASUS p4333 motherboard. Give me some advice. The computer is going to for gaming/video editing.

Go with the p4S333, its inexpensive and has some great overclocking characteristics. The only thing it lacks is voltage adjustments. You can do a few little mods to get voltage adjustments but if its your brothers comp make shure he knows this.

xCarne_Asada said:
The computer is going to for gaming/video editing.

Those 2 needs stability, not the best OC. Intel chip has been more stable. Go for MSI.

The P4S333 lacks voltage adjustments? I'm about to buy it and the specs say the CPU core is adjustable in .05V increments. I'm confused.

Re: Re: Which P4 Motherboard?

ariman said:

Those 2 needs stability, not the best OC. Intel chip has been more stable. Go for MSI.

Funny....I have an MSI SiS 645 board, and haven't had a single stability issue so far. I don't think Intel chipsets have anything stability-wise on SiS chipsets for P4s.....it depends far more on how the motherboards use the chipsets than what chipset is actually used.

The P4 mobo in my sig has worked out pretty well for me and seems to be a real stable board, it wasn't my first choice but I got it for $65 new from a fellow trader.

For the price I paid and all the features like Raid and a bevy of overclocking features I am happy with it.

I was thinking about the MSI mentioned above before I came across this mobo deal.

Here's a review or jump here to view the overclocking features

:burn:

I nearly bought such board (Gigabyte) with raid-feature also because i was impressed of that 'feature', and i'm happy now i havent. Meanwhile i know they are not Hardware-Raid-Controllers, and its based on drivers you afterwards always depend on, and is kind of Soft-Raid which also can be done in Windows or Linux itself; real Raid costs much more. Also: you cannot count on support of manufacturers for thous onboard-raids (when i thougt about buiing such a board, i contacted 'Promise' and asked questions, and got reply 'no support for onboard raids'.

Hope it helps :) Max

By the way am happy with my P4S333, not saying because of that, it's about those 'Controllers'.

Found at anandtech:
"
Software RAID is the RAID controller type that is found integrated onto a number of motherboards and available as a low cost PCI card. These cards are really nothing more than a slightly specialized IDE controller Software RAID cards appear to function as an IDE controller with the ability to stripe or mirror data, but this is not actually the case. Software RAID controllers do not actually perform the striping or mirroring calculations but rather call upon the CPU to perform these functions.
"

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1491&p=6

It's not 100% Hardware RAID and not 100% Sofware Raid, something strange between... If you get problem with the driver, which actually makes the work and is the most important part, you risk getting no support from onboard-raid-manufacturer nor from motherboard-manufacturer.

Choose for either a real Hardware-Raid Card, or use the Windows-or Linux Raid which its integrated with the system, you will avoid many problems.

mmm... not know if you got it, as i understand sounds really cool & cheap thous cheap raids:) Sorry for this 'bad' message, i just went through this experience myself:).

Re: Re: Re: Which P4 Motherboard?

theflyingrat said:

Funny....I have an MSI SiS 645 board, and haven't had a single stability issue so far. I don't think Intel chipsets have anything stability-wise on SiS chipsets for P4s.....it depends far more on how the motherboards use the chipsets than what chipset is actually used.

Read few reviews and You notice they all agree: Generally speaking Intel chip has been more stable.;) You may start with this: http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,apn=16&s=1005&a=22995&app=14&ap=15,00.asp

From the article you'd just posted:

P4B266
Price: $120-140
Pros: Scads of features, including some cool, unique BIOS goodies.
Cons: Some instability ; cluttered layout.
Score: 6/10

So the 845D isn't completely bulletproof, either?

Like I said, it depends far more on the manufacturer's implementation of the chipset, as opposed to the chipset itself. The same article goes on to say that the Asus 645 board was fully stable. So Asus messed up the 'more stable' chipset and magically made the 'less stable' one stable?

Doubtful. Chances are, when a 'bad' motherboard is received, it has far more to do with the quality and the construction of THAT INDIVIDUAL board, not what type of chipsets are on it. Bad capacitors, bad voltage regulators, what have you. These things are FAR more liable to make a motherboard a poor one, not what type of chipset that are used. The most stable folding machines I've ever used was an MSI KT266A board. VIA chipsets are usually regarded as being less stable than Intel chipsets. However, MSI just knew how to put this particular board together. They used quality components and put it together in a solid fashion. Now, the worst board I've ever seen was also an MSI. A K7 Master. Although the AMD 761 chipset used in this board was generally regarded as a solid solution, this board sucked!!!! It never stopped with the problems. Eventually, one of the PCI slots died, and it would not reboot correctly, if it ever booted it at all. I didn't RMA it; I though it was so bad I let a friend of mine pull it apart with a pair of pliers. Something with this board was funny, and it was quality control, not the chipset. I owned another 761 board, a DFI AK76-SN. It was crazy stable, and inexpensive to boot. (check the aforementioned article for a review on DFI's 845D board. Typical of DFI tradition, it's solid as a rock.)
/short novel mode

I'll argue to my death that the motherboard makers' quality control and choice of components has far more to do nowadays with motherboard stability than the chipsets ever will.

theflyingrat said:
From the article you'd just posted:

P4B266
Price: $120-140
Pros: Scads of features, including some cool, unique BIOS goodies.
Cons: Some instability ; cluttered layout.
Score: 6/10

So the 845D isn't completely bulletproof, either?

I'll argue to my death that the motherboard makers' quality control and choice of components has far more to do nowadays with motherboard stability than the chipsets ever will.

Yes, I agree to that. Mopo makers has the keys to stability. But lock holders are still chip makers, thats what I dont give up with You!:D
By the way, You got a quite a touche: My P4B266 is at RMA...:eh?:

Sorry about the dead P4B266....a moment of silence....

BTW...thanks for the link to that review...I don't frequent that site much, and it was a pretty good, unbiased review as far as I could tell....if it didn't work, the site went ahead and failed the board! I think I gleaned some good info from that review, and that's ultimately what counts...

Back