• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geez, Intel is STILL getting smashed for their past business practices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjw21a

Intel will try to overturn €1bn EC antitrust fine
Not happy with the amount
By Lawrence Latif
Thu Apr 26 2012, 11:51

CHIPMAKER Intel will challenge a €1.04bn fine levied by the European Commission (EC) over anticompetitive tactics against AMD.

The European Commission has been investigating Intel for the best part of a decade for anticompetitive practices against chip designer AMD. The EC handed Intel a €1.06bn fine in 2009, however Intel has said it will ask Europe's General Court to scrap the fine, claiming the EC failed to prove that it had blocked AMD.

Intel's battles with antitrust regulators have focused on the firm's tactics of offering customers such as Dell better deals if they didn't purchase AMD's products. Intel has settled an antitrust case in New York for as little as $6.5m and paid AMD $1.25bn as part of a settlement, while the US Federal Trade Commission ordered the firm to extend x86 licenses to its rivals.

Initially Intel said the EC's decision to fine it 4.15 per cent of its 2008 annual revenue was "manifestly disproportionate", even though the commission could have levied a fine of up to 10 per cent of Intel's annual revenue.

The European Ombudsman has backed Intel, censoring the EC for procedural errors in its investigation. In the Ombudsman's report issued five months after the commission's findings, he cited "maladministration" because the commission had failed to make a proper note of a meeting with Dell, one of the key witnesses in this case.

Intel will most likely use the European Ombudsman's report as part of its appeal against the fine. The firm will put its case to the European General Court from 3 July. µ

Source: The Inquirer (http://s.tt/1a4Yr)

Perhaps, I just can't believe this stuff is still ongoing. Mind you, I think they've gotten off lightly really. Things might be very different today if they hadn't done this in the P4 era.

Well, keep in mind how slow legal processes move, and then compound that with the fact that Intel can afford VERY expensive lawyers who are also probably working diligently to slow the process down further.

I suspect AMD could have made more than this and have been in a better position than they are today if Intel hadn't engaged in this behaviour. In the end Intel even made a profit for the quarter when making that payout. They'd not be in the dominant position they are today without having done this.

I'd argue that Intel won.

Back