• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey all, new heer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gunk

Been a lurker here for a bit and only started getting into OC'ing CPUs about a year ago. Currently running an old intel q6600 OC'ed to 3.0Ghz and lapped with AS 5 and arctic freezer pro 7 fan. The thing is insanely stable but my question is, friend of mine told me OCing CPUs shortens their life spans considerably, any truth to this?

It does a little, though not by any significant amount. Considering that's already a fairly old chip I'd just go ahead with it. It's the only way you'll get decent performance from it and at 3GHz it really shouldn't be that far behind a modern (AMD) system. The current i5's and i7's are faster again

Overclocking itself shouldn't decrease the life of a chip; increased temperature and voltage will though. If you want to OC, make sure that you keep both at reasonable levels and you won't run into any lifespan problems.

JigPu

Back