• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artic Silver how to use it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I'm building an intel i5 2600K with a mATX mobo (mobo to be determined)

WHAT thermal paste would you recommend?

I used Artic Silver for my old build, but they offer more than one kind!

Second, how MUCH do you put it on, how do you apply it etc??

I saw one YouTube video where the person put a small amount on and spread it on thin with a credit card.

Another friend said to put the amount the size of a pea in the center, and let the heat sink spread it across the surface.

What if I put too much on, and it squishes out w/the HS is put on?? My friend did this for me last time, and I watched. I forgot what he did exactly as it was about 10 years ago.

Thanks in advance!

There are several application techniques that people I have talked to have recommended. The one that I use is the one that I picked up during one of my IT classes: this method states to put a pea sized blob on the CPU and spread it out evenly with an old Credit Card. This method has always worked well for me.
Others have recommend 2 thin lines across and let the heat sync spread it, I assume that would work but I have never tried it myself. The idea is full coverage with out the mess.

I have always used arctic silver on my CPUs. I am not sure which one I used since I am out but most of their products work very well.

Good luck with your build.

just put a pea sized amount on the middle of the cpu and let the heatsync do the work.if you spread it out with a Cc card it increases your chances of getting little micro bubbles of air that will retain heat,and hinder your cooling.as far as what thermal paist to use i still stick to artic silver grey i did try there ceramic paste once but it didnt perform as well.some people on here swear by MX-4 paste i haven't tried it yet myself but sounds promising

As jazon1 said, the 2 thin lines approach should be applied wherever a HDT type cooler is used. Otherwise stick with the pea sized blob of thermal paste in the centre of the CPU's heatspreader.

As jazon1 said, the 2 thin lines approach should be applied wherever a HDT type cooler is used. Otherwise stick with the pea sized blob of thermal paste in the centre of the CPU's heatspreader.

Are the HDT cooler designs really better?

Thanks guys:D

Comes down to the design of the heatsink overall. The top two air coolers remain the Phanteks and the Noctua NH-D14. Neither of those are HDT coolers.

Just look at the reviews and decide on what cooler performs best. HDT or non HDT is irrelevant, just what cooler performs better.

I tend to prefer to do a pea sized blob in the middle then wrap a bit of cling film around my finger then spread a nice even cover around the cpu. I tend to find that if u let the heatsink so the work that you don't get an even cover across the whole area

The article silver website tells you how to do it. Follow those instructions.

I also let the heatsink do the spreading and get great results.

as far as what thermal paist to use i still stick to artic silver grey i did try there ceramic paste once but it didnt perform as well.some people on here swear by MX-4 paste i haven't tried it yet myself but sounds promising

Yeah, I'm using Arctic Silver Ceramique because is comes in big 22 gram tubes. It is a few degree's of Artic Silver 5 though at least it is con conductive. I believe Artic Cooling MX-4 is the best inexpensive thermal paste today until you get to super expensive solutions like IC Diamond.

Looks like you can get Artic Cooling MX-4 in 20g tubes now too so I think I'll have to pick up a tube. Not far off running out of my trusty old Ceramique. Been using the same tube for about 5 years now.

Yeah, I'm using Arctic Silver Ceramique because is comes in big 22 gram tubes. It is a few degree's of Artic Silver 5 though at least it is con conductive. I believe Artic Cooling MX-4 is the best inexpensive thermal paste today until you get to super expensive solutions like IC Diamond.

Looks like you can get Artic Cooling MX-4 in 20g tubes now too so I think I'll have to pick up a tube. Not far off running out of my trusty old Ceramique. Been using the same tube for about 5 years now.

I heard some people had problems w/the ceramic version. But heard good things about the MX-4 product. I'll probably get Artic Silver 5

If I buy today, MX-4 would be my choice. Artic Silver products are all kind of outdated. Not one of them are class leading products anymore.

If I buy today, MX-4 would be my choice. Artic Silver products are all kind of outdated. Not one of them are class leading products anymore.

Really?? Could you show me a review, I wouldn't have a clue how they test these.

Hardly matters. All this serves to show is that whatever you have, use it till it runs out. Once it runs out, buy something else thats half decent. Hence the reason I'm still using Artic Silver Ceramique.

Hardly matters. All this serves to show is that whatever you have, use it till it runs out. Once it runs out, buy something else thats half decent. Hence the reason I'm still using Artic Silver Ceramique.

True.

Check your PM again..

And check this Silverstone case out..pretty cool. mATX only

Silverstone

Still a pretty tall case though. I'd not bother with it myself. The Sugo looks to be the best case out there to me. MATX and tiny.

Back