• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which mobo for [email protected] (100%)!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spydc

Registered
I want to build a new computer and I understand the 1.6a northwoods are hot! I hear they are guaranteed to run at least 133fsb. Now I need some serious mobo recommendations. Which ones will definitely help me hit that mark. I don't mind about the cost at all. Raid is a definite plus! Thanks.

I don't mind about the cost at all. Raid is a definite plus! Thanks

You'll want to get the Abit TH7II-Raid motherboard. Start looking at the Abit mobo section and you'll see why.:)

Arch5

Really.. but peple tell me to get a DDR based motherboard because rambus doesn't overclock too well. Will it do 133fsb gauranteed?

Will it do 133fsb gauranteed?

Yes I will personally gaurantee that all RAMBUS memory will run at 533Mhz! Oh, wait, my personal advisor is shaking his head NO like I shouldn't do that. Well I guess I can't gaurantee that then.

Seriously though, Rambus will be introducing actual 533 memory later this year I believe so it doesn't really matter if you can overclock it that high because you can just go out and buy some new ones that do. I have heard that the 128Mb Sticks are more overclock-friendly than the 256Mb version. And also that NON-ECC memory overclocks better than ECC version.

Well if you see my sig, I am not following either of those guidelines and my memory is running great at 533Mhz!

If I had gone DDR though, I would have used the SiS 645 Chipset.
But RAMBUS is cheaper! Have fun with the research, I'm sure you'll find all or more than you want to know.

Arch5

You know you dont need to overclock your memory just to overclock your CPU? Just use the appropriate divider to run FSB at one speed and your Memory at another. Now I know the DDR boards allow you to set the FSB to 100/133 for the CPU and to set the MEM to 100/133/166/200. However I'm not sure if it's the same way on the RAMBUS boards.

Really? sorry to hear that. Thanks for all the replies but I purchased the EPOX 4BDA2+. Sounded like a great board!

Back