• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RD ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
got a few qz about RDram,
i know its like 800mhz and that only intel used it, and why doesn't amd use it? and why are intel dropping it? is there something rong with it? or is it just expencive? whats the deal?

Intel are not dropping it, there are just no new chipsets being made in the coming year for it. Its not expensive, the price is now within a few percent of the cost of DDR, it has higher bandwidth, but higher latency. The latency issue gets less the faster it runs, so 1066 Rambus, which is imminent, has lower latency.

Amd do not use it at present, but they do have a licence to use it if they so choose to. The XP is not designed for that amount of bandwidth, where the PIV is.

The RD ram is more expencive, and it does not give much higher performance than the ddr. Also the ddr can be made by anyone that desires it.

Ely

Rdram is about 2 % more expensive at the moment, which is nothing. Rdram running at 133 out performs DDR running at 133 quite easily.

From what i have read rdram running at 133 is about equivalent to DDR at 180 it certainly seems to be the case on P4 setups anyways!!

RDRAM is PC800 but it has half the badwith so it figures out to PC400 equivelant. So with larency and all its not that much faster. Not to mention its owend by a ***** of a company.

rdram at 133fsb equates to pc1066 ..or using half its available bandwidth !!! 533Mhz..(thats with PC800 on 400settings overclocked ..which mine wont seem to do baaaaaah) i get 500Mhz equiv to 1Ghz then ram fails

Back