• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting the highest temperature while staying stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bokan

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I think I could find some advice for my project here.

What I want to achieve may look strange for overclockers who always seek to get low temperatures.

I'm designing a green computing cluster where the heat will be reused. The higher temp we achieve, the better for the project. Meanwhile, the CPU must remain perfectly stable.

I know that CPU suffer more form temperature changes than just being hot all the time. We will use a very precise liquid "cooling" technology. Each CPU will be precisely monitored each seconds and flow adjusted to keep the temperature stable (+/-5°C). This way we avoid any temperature variation even when idle. The motherboard and other components will stay at normal temperature (<25°C).

Do you have any idea of the maximum temperature we can reach for long time ? The CPU must at least handle 24/7 computation for 4 years.

I think that most CPU can sustain 85°C, do you agree ?

Do you have any source of information about this ? I'm especialy interested in long running tests.

Do you know a particular CPU or series that handle higher temperature than others ?

Thanks you for your help.

Thank you wingman99.

Do you think it's possible to push higher ? I want to avoid throttling off course.

What CPU would provide the best efficiency (Gflop/w) ?
The cluster will be used for calculation like 3D rendering and biotech datamining, it will use all cores.

I would not go over 85c for a long time on intel, i don't know if it will last 4 years.

This cpu is a good one Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core.

Thank you for the advice. Quite expensive CPU, and I forgot to mention an important detail.
We plan to use mini ITX motherboards, so we can stack 64 CPU per cluster. I fear I could not find mini ITX that will leverage the power of this beast.

I'll come back later with more design info.

Thanks for your advices.

Back