• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 Reference Vmod Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

I'm doing some 7970 mods and have decided to post a worklog here so that people can follow along.
It's not a guide persay, nor a walkthrough, just a worklog.
If you want to follow along with your own card that's fine of course, I'm happy to answer questions to the best of my ability.

Be aware that the moment you touch a soldering iron to your card the warranty is history! Some manufacturers may void the warranty when you remove the cooler, I don't know.

In any case, here we are after putting vgpu, vmem and vddci(or vtt, or pll, lots of names) read wires in place:

7970 vRead points.jpg

LOVE IT. Can't wait to see some more :)

I've seen a lot of people put their reader molex points on a 3/4-way SLI bridge. What are you attaching yours to?

Also, you should untouchable it :p

If I had more untouchables I totally would. EVGA needs to do another run or five of the things. Grumble grumble.
I'll be sticking a molex on the back of the card pointing out, or I may glue an extension onto it and mount them to that.

Ed and I are both counting down to them doing another production run of untouchables. I have plans to buy 5 when the happens. Can never have to many of such a useful Overclocking tool.

btw ed, are those all post voltage change monitoring points, since i dont see anything tacked onto the Chil controller yet?

Yup, they're for monitoring the voltages. The actual mods require putting some 500ohm(ish) 603 resistors in place of the current 0ohm resistors near the controllers. The resistors are on order.

I am a little envious of yah Turn and burn :D I am sure I will probably get a chance to gander at your 7970's before they get shipped back to you.

Parts arrive tomorrow, I'm looking forward to moving forward here :D

ed if you want to kidnapp my soldering station for the weekend and use my reflow solder just let me know, i have to head your way tomorrow night on the way to a show so it wouldn't be out of the way.

I am a little envious of yah Turn and burn :D I am sure I will probably get a chance to gander at your 7970's before they get shipped back to you.

Well think of it this way its for the team! Ed got me to join and that wasent a easy task mind you as I been asked by alot of ppl from different teams for years! But I will say this is the ONLY forum I liked in terms of the PPL and OCers. The team is great very helpful and what a bunch of character's crack me up!! a fun great place.

My mission now is to go to the top, like in business I dont stop till I get there and if I have to fry a few things along the way so be it. BURN BABY BURN

I thank everyone that has helped me and will do my best to rocket US up!

Well think of it this way its for the team! Ed got me to join and that wasent a easy task mind you as I been asked by alot of ppl from different teams for years! But I will say this is the ONLY forum I liked in terms of the PPL and OCers. The team is great very helpful and what a bunch of character's crack me up!! a fun great place.

My mission now is to go to the top, like in business I dont stop till I get there and if I have to fry a few things along the way so be it. BURN BABY BURN

tumblr_m4pvfesmXr1rtgcg5o1_400.gif

that's the spirit!

I can't wait to see what you can do with some volt modded 7970s!

I hear yah, I am limited to what I already own mostly right now. Till i Fix my car, which isn't a bad thing, Just having a bit of Ln2 abuse withdrawls is all :D. On the positive side we are here to support you if there are things that are needed along the way.

I hear yah, I am limited to what I already own mostly right now. Till i Fix my car, which isn't a bad thing, Just having a bit of Ln2 abuse withdrawls is all :D. On the positive side we are here to support you if there are things that are needed along the way.

I been working with LN2 for maybe a month now and I have the chills, dont even like starting a set up unless a pot is on top! My SS is gathering dust water bone dry use air just to kick start :)

AIRGAS is my pal

Soldering is all done (I hope!), next up is a bit of hot glue armor/insulation, testing, and more armor.

First up, the PLL/VTT/VDDCI (whatever you'd like to call it). New resistor for the vsense+ pin:
vPLL-resistor.jpg

And a wire to a pot:
vPLL-resistorAndWire.jpg

Vmem and vcore are from the same controller, so it's pretty intense back there. First up was a new resistor for the vMem vsense+ pin:
vMem resistor.jpg

Once we had that, things got real.
7970moddedFullRear.jpg
7970moddedCroppedRear.jpg

Memory just gets a single wire, it's the one that goes off in its own direction. The other five are for OCP. They go to a bus resistor with 47kOhm between each resistor or ground.
That in turn goes to a jumper, so it can be turned offish. Ish, because once it's off each pin has 94kOhms to each other pin, I have no idea what that'll do.
Following this mod is at your own risk, disabling OCP means you had better have some damn good cooling for the MOSFETs. No small number of cards have been lost post-OCP mod.

OCPandvMem1.jpg
OCPandvMem2.jpg
OCPandvMem3.jpg

Nope, that's next.
Was doublechecking that the pots were at highest resistance and popped one off the card :chair:
Glue gun is heating up now, it's not an issue in the slightest, just a bit of a delay.
I'll report back in once I've glued it back on and tested.

I have found that the hot glue that I have comes loose way too easy. I need to find something better.

Back