• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on HD 7850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sumonpathak

Well guys...picked up a 7850 recently...so anyway to use this baby? coz it aint working for me at-least.:eh?:
RELP (scooby do style)

The V7 folding client should auto-detect it. Not all cards are auto detected, but most are.

First thing is to delete the current V7 client - takes just a second:

Move the installer program to the download or desktop or other directory, so you know where it is, then:

Control Panel >> Program changes >> select the V7 folding client >> uninstall

Now run the installer program again, Radeon based cards are built for fast integer handling, and not for floating point numbers that FAH uses, but they will fold.

And hopefully, the client will detect the card correctly. If it doesn't, post back. :D

GPU's are frequently more difficult to set up, because there are so many models and drivers and systems, that can all make differences in how they should be set up.

^^have no idea baout that...
picture.php

this is the error am getting

How many slots do you have recognized by V7? (0 and 1 maybe?)

Copy and paste up this file, but redact (***) your passkey from the copy you post:

C:/users/yourName/appdata/roaming/FAHClient/config.xml

If you don't see the appdata folder, turn on "show hidden and system folders and files" option, in Windows Explorer.

I believe you are going to need the "Whitelist" file.

AMD GPU's aren't the best choice for folding, because they have a design that is optimized for integers, instead of for floating point numbers (which FAH needs), but they will fold.

here it is...the client is only detecting one slot

Code:
<config>
  <!-- FahCore Control -->
  <checkpoint v='3'/>
  <cpu-usage v='78'/>

<!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
  <gpu v='true'/>

<!-- Network -->
  <proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'/>
  <team v='32'/>
  <user v='sumonpathak'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='1' type='SMP'>
    <cpus v='4'/>
  </slot>
</config>

And physically, the gpu card is in the slot closest to the cpu (the first x16 slot), right?

When you go into control panel >> system >> device manager, you see that card listed correctly?

yes,,it is listed..

Good, and thanks for your patience.

Download the latest gpu.txt file from here, and put it in this location:

C:/users/yourname/appdata/roaming/FAHClient/

and restart the V7 client.

The GPU.txt file is here:
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-relea ... c/GPUs.txt

The V7 client has it's own database, but this list is the updated version, and checking the FAH forum, your card has now been added to the list.

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

On another matter, I believe you'll get better productivity with your system, if you make smp: 6 instead of the default smp: 8 (so limiting the cpu folding to six cores (NEVER 7!). That will give your gpu 2 cores to use without constantly being swapped from core to core, among the 8 cores.

Last edited:
Isn't this on a 2500K? Default would be -smp 4 and max production will probably be with -smp 3 running with the AMD GPU.

Good, and thanks for your patience.

Download the latest gpu.txt file from here, and put it in this location:

C:/users/yourname/appdata/roaming/FAHClient/

and restart the V7 client.

The GPU.txt file is here:
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-relea ... c/GPUs.txt

The V7 client has it's own database, but this list is the updated version, and checking the FAH forum, your card has now been added to the list.

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

On another matter, I believe you'll get better productivity with your system, if you make smp: 6 instead of the default smp: 8 (so limiting the cpu folding to six cores (NEVER 7!). That will give your gpu 2 cores to use without constantly being swapped from core to core, among the 8 cores.

thanks..and its an 2500K :p

OK, the forum broke the link (fixed now) -- thanks for your fix, Charles.

Just click on it and wait a few seconds for it to transfer to your browser, then click on the "firefox" tab, and select "save as file".

hehe...ff rendered it incorrectly..anyway...it works and am officially back in business...
thanks guys :)
btw...any optimization possible to make the best of what i have?

Try it with the default and with smp: 3, and see if saving one core for the gpu gives it a boost.

And watch your temps. That's a lot more heat going inside the case.

Back