• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think that i messed up my CPU :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YojimboAMD

Registered
Hey guys...

I'm gonna try to describe what i did, so you can tell me your toughts

5am of this morning, couldn't ressist to get hands on my brand new FX8150 and my Asus Crosshair V

Maybe i was tired or something... but i started putting on all together...

I was barefooted over ceramic tiles, on a couch, touched bronze after getting my hands on the components, dessed in a cotton short and a cotton t-shirt

Is there a chance that i damaged my components?

Aditional info:

Because of the fear after i did what i did, stopped the building process, the MoBo has the CPU... nothing else

Last edited:
Not likely. Have u tested it or just a posted it here after walking across your house?

No, i didn't tested it out... I've been walking arround my house, wondering about this... very scared...

Also, never touched the pins of the CPU... Only the nickeled plate, and... of course, the MoBo, on the heatskin of the Mofset, and the lever for locking the CPU...

In this order... Heatskin, Lever, CPU, Lever again

how do i know if it took damage from a ESD? Any signs on the booting of the system?

You didn't do anything. Please don't dwell on thist and build it. :)

If for some silly chance it did anything it likely wouldn't boot.

I think I'd just go on building myself at this point, all thought a lot of people aren't well versed on how easy it is to do ESD damage to components at a low level easily.

I used to work with them on a daily basis, from what you stated I doubt if you'd have a problem. Grounding to continue might be good idea though.

I tend to break those rules more often than I should myself and have never fried anything I guess just building my own things.

You probably would have no way of telling if it had happened or not unless you have some pretty sophisticated test equipment laying about :)

i was wondering... there is a software to check the entire system? i mean... that everything is working at 100%?

i was wondering... there is a software to check the entire system? i mean... that everything is working at 100%?

If you are really that concerned, you can run something like prime95 to check the stability. Just out of curiosity, when you touched the CPU, was there a static discharge? If not, then there is absolutely nothing to worry about. I've built computers while wearing socks, in the middle of winter, in a very dry room while sitting on carpet. I wouldn't suggest doing that without touching metal frequently but you can certainly do it :)

Its always advisable to be grounded when touching computer components, i use a wrist band thingy with a wire and clip that i clip to the case.

But, its not as inevitable to damage something through static electricity as a lot fear, i know people who handle computer components including CPU's in a way that will make anyone gasp, dirty oily hands every where all over the components with no care at all, holding GPU PCB's like there chunks of wood... i don't let them touch anything of mine, but here is the thing. they have not damaged any components yet.

i think its fine :)

PS: its always nice to see someone exited about their new rig. i hope you get more joy out of it yet :)

Last edited:
If you are really that concerned, you can run something like prime95 to check the stability. Just out of curiosity, when you touched the CPU, was there a static discharge? If not, then there is absolutely nothing to worry about. I've built computers while wearing socks, in the middle of winter, in a very dry room while sitting on carpet. I wouldn't suggest doing that without touching metal frequently but you can certainly do it :)

No! it was not! i have read that there is no need to ZAP the cpu... even a small and unnoticeable discharge can damage the CPU... But... Well... i'm half way there... just need to buy the video card.

I saw a video in youtube... about some advices to build a gaming pc... and it said that i should not "bottleneck", also it said that i should buy a videocard similar in price range to the CPU... so... if the FX 8150 is 200... i should buy a 200 video card? The reason... according to them, is because i can't buy a videocard that the CPU can handle... Any toughts about this?

LOL, thats about enough on this static subject. You PC is fine. Have you built it yet? Its been days since this was started...

As far as that advice with CPU and GPU, thats horse crap. Get the best you can afford.

+1 to what EarthDog sez.

I've never had static blow a CPU and I've handled hundreds without ever using a wrist strap or any other ESD safety equipment. Yes, a small static charge CAN kill a chip but but isn't reasonably LIKELY to. A 10KPH collision in your car CAN kill you, but probably won't. 10ml of water CAN drown you, but will it REALLY?

You can't tell if it is functional unless you build it. You can't run any software to test hardware unless you build it.

So get your superglue and walk around your chair 3 times counter-clockwise and start connecting all those goodies.

Ok!!! Almost built!!!

Only need the Video Card...

I have this choices to select:

Evga Geforce Gtx 550 Ti 1gb Superclocked

Evga Nvidia Gtx 560ti Fpb 1024mb Gddr5 Directx 11

Evga Geforce Gtx 460 1gb Gddr5 Superclocked

What's the best for high demand graphics?

Ok!!! Almost built!!!

Only need the Video Card...

I have this choices to select:

Evga Geforce Gtx 550 Ti 1gb Superclocked

Evga Nvidia Gtx 560ti Fpb 1024mb Gddr5 Directx 11

Evga Geforce Gtx 460 1gb Gddr5 Superclocked

What's the best for high demand graphics?

GTX 560ti is the best one there, you should also consider an AMD 7850.

Back