• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget CPU (What is best)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ztdesigninc

Hi everyone,

Looking to build a real budget computer just for home office use without the real need to do much more.

Out of the two processors listed below which one would you choose - forget every other component, just pick A or B.

AIntel Celeron Dual Core G540 2.50GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail

BAMD A4-3300 2.50GHz Accelerated Processor Unit (Socket FM1)

Cheers for your help

The G540, though both will suit you fine for typical office/email/web functionality. For that type of work, pick anything.

Last edited:
you actually made me think which one i would suggest. seeing as both cpus are rather close in cost and for office work you really dont need much. taking into account of future software though, i would say the Intel G540.

I know, I just personally think that the better graphics futureproofs it a bit more as websites become more graphic oriented and whatnot.

I know, I just personally think that the better graphics futureproofs it a bit more as websites become more graphic oriented and whatnot.

The Intel IGP is nothing to scoff at and it can provide more of a boost (MVP) to any video card added.

I agree, especially the HD4000 on Ivy Bridge, but the HD2000 on that Celeron is significantly less powerful.

Again, this is just nitpicking at details, both would easily suffice for the OPs needs.

all the graphics on websites are still 2d, unless there is some change down the road. where every website is going to be 3d rendered then the video would matter but that wont happen.

For my desktop where I want the best, I care about getting all the components right. For a standard build, e.g. a HTPC, basic business machine for a friend, etc., I've been known to grab one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-442-AS&groupid=701&catid=1903&subcat=1949

and just bang it in a case with a hard drive or SSD and some very cheap RAM. Fanless, low-power, lots of modern connections. Saves spending on a motherboard and time setting it all up. Think it took me about half an hour to build the last complete system I did with one and that includes getting the Debian install started, most of which just involves me coming back and tapping in a a few answers near the end.

Of the two you picked however, I would go with the AMD because of the graphics. I guess I just like to have it even if I don't plan on using it right now.

You can hold off on a graphics card till you need one. Just use the IGP, it will do fine for what you want to do.

+1 for the SB low end.

I downgraded my main rig from a 2600K to a G620 (had a i3 2100 in between) and never looked back. But I don't game crunch or encode as much anymore...

And my server was recently upgraded to a G530 with 16GB RAM. Amazing performance for the $$.

Back