• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

28 AWG: USB & FP Audio Wiring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cold.nut

was noticing over at Jameco that you could get 100ft. of 28AWG (300v rated) hookup wire. i am building my new machine and am looking to make custom length USB & FP Audio cables. i found the connectors over at Performance-PCs, and here is the link to the cabling I was looking at over at Jameco. what do you guys think? :shrug:

the current USB & FP Audio wires say USB SHIELDED <28AWG/2C+28AWG/2C> on the side. just making sure before I order.

yeah they are supposed to be Shielded.. hm.. i messaged Jameco. but wouldn't they have that within their specifications? :shrug: or does Insulation Type: PVC cover that?

Insulation and shielding are very different things.
If it's not listed as shielded, it isn't.

You can wrap the data+/- pair in aluminum foil that is grounded at one end and not the other, that's essentially what the shielding in most cables is.
Wrap that in turn with something else, otherwise it's one hell of a short circuit hazard.

that sounds like a pain. is there a good distributor or retailer that sells 26 AWG & 28 AWG shielded and stranded eletrical wire? :shrug: Im looking for bulk pricing. 100' for $6 on Jameco really stood out to me :)

hmm.. not seeing anything. I was reading over at MDPC-X forums, they said standard 26AWG PVC insulated wire should work fine.

hmm.. not seeing anything. I was reading over at MDPC-X forums, they said standard 26AWG PVC insulated wire should work fine.
It'll work, but it won't be shielded. Really depends on what you want to do with it. But usually current in interconnect wire is (and should be) really low, which means that it's particularly prone to interference. Interference in interconnects is messy, because it's usually used for connecting audio sources and that's the last place you want to introduce noise.

What's the application?

USB is a double-ended signal, and a digital one at that, so it's extremely noise resistant. Shielding doesn't seem necessary for USB. But audio is a completely different story...

thanks everyone :thup:! I imagine I will just do my USB front panel cable and stick to the stock Audio

You should be able to find USB cable, i.e. already shielded twisted, etc. What I would suggest doing is buying a full length cable from monoprice, and just cutting the rubber/plastic around it and replacing it with your sleeving. That's basically what I did in my PC (see link in my sig) and it turned out great.

Back