• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX3S Aopen motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Autonomous

Registered
Now I know that my motherboard sucks for overclocking. I have a dead cd-rom drive and a dead cd-r drive to prove it. If I were to get a mother board to over clock what should I get and what kind of processor?

Well, I'm an Intel sort, so my suggestions are along those lines, but if I were to buy now, I would get the PIII 1.26g with the 512k cache, and I would get the Abit ST6R...the mobo is going for around $100.00 u.s., and the PIII1.26 is going around $200.00....Some would suggest the P4 and an Abit board, but I haven't researched the P4 in detail yet...still waiting for the Die shrink to realy interest me, and an improvement to the cache before I would go that way...but the reviewers say that if you're into games then the P4 is the way to go..it smokes all the benchmarks for Quake3 because of the huge memory bandwidth, but the P4 is still too expencive (for me anyway).
The reason I like the PIII 1.26 is the extra cache memory....if cache mem were not important, Digital wouldn't put 8mb's of it on their processors, and the Zeon would not exist.
Amd has a lot to offer as far as price difference, but I still see posts saying that they can't get their systems stable.and it's mostly in the chipset..e.g. nothing us mere mortals can fix. Someday a good chipset for AMD platform will come out, but untill then I won't throw any money at something that I might have to tweek to death just to get it running.
If you can wait a while, some good things are coming down the pike...and the industry is in another state of flux (changing rapidly).
No matter what platform you choose, I would go with Abit motherboards because they have performed beyond my expectations...and have had several and am running two right now.
Asking what kind of mobo and proc is almost always asking for an argument, but I figure, if I make a suggestion, some will dissagree, and maybe suggest something I haven't thought of, that might be better, and we'd both be winners.
If I had the money to spend, that is what I would get AbitST6R/PIII1.26, and I checked the database, and see that the 1.26 does seem to overclock well...but if all you want is pure bragging rights, you might want to go AMD, and if you fragg alot go Intel.
Remember that all the above is MY opinion, and you know how opinions are...everybody has one.My last suggestion is to think about what you want to get out of your new box, and research what equipment will take you there.
Good luck, and may the Bandwidth be with you:cool:

Back