• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapping CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ztdesigninc

Hi Guys,

My office now has a few ageing pc's, they all have decent ram, GPU's and are in good condition but are starting to slowdown slightly with all the new software that is out there.

I know from experience my sockets can accept processors with more power that they have currently got, but I want to know if there are any problems with literally just swapping the processors - I mean turning the pc off, taking the old processor out, add the new one and turning the pc back on (ensuring it is compatible with the socket.

Cheers for your help

Hi Guys,

My office now has a few ageing pc's, they all have decent ram, GPU's and are in good condition but are starting to slowdown slightly with all the new software that is out there.

I know from experience my sockets can accept processors with more power that they have currently got, but I want to know if there are any problems with literally just swapping the processors - I mean turning the pc off, taking the old processor out, add the new one and turning the pc back on (ensuring it is compatible with the socket.

Cheers for your help

I've tried that before and it was fine for me. As long as it is the right socket there shouldn't be any issues. It might not show up in device manager as the right processor, but just uninstall and reinstall it in device manager. Also just to be safe reset the CMOS on the Mobo and you should be dandy. Just be 100% its the right socket CPU for the board ( not meaning to state the obvious :p)

Upgrade BIOS first to a BIOS with compatibility to the target CPU. Then reset BIOS/UEFI.

probably a good course of action tbh. But unless he is swapping from san SB to IB on a z68 Ib compatible mobo/an amd build i think that if he is running intel you should be pretty safe assuming your bios will be able to accept the processor right away. But +1 just to be safe/ we dont know exactly what your are upgrading from and till. :thup:

I have successfully switched cpu's and had no problem, however update your bios before the switch like the others have said.

Back