• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do what with my AMD temperatures?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RGone

Senior DFI Staff
I am going to post this in the 'general' cpu discussion area as that is likely the place where such is best viewed and discussed for all to get a glimpse before they begin to doubt their own setups that have done quite well for months or more.

Which AMD is correct and why I take anything coming from a manufacturer with a large dose of salt, when they claim "proprietary" non-disclosure in an area they are supposed to be educating me about.

There is some new information now appearing in the forum. Information I saw posted in other forums some months ago. It did not seem to change a thing that the majority of the helpers in this forum were doing already. Especially considering that every temp in processors no matter where it comes from is a voltage signal of some sort and must be manipulated in some manner to produce an actual reading of a temp. Most of this manipulation is open to the discretion of the coders. Most of this coding must be done either with a glance into the "proprietary" information of the various CPU manufactures or with a good guesstimation from experience.

Speaking from experience, there are any number of late phenom2s and FX-series cpus doing quite well using tried and true overclocking procedures and using temps interpolated, by experience.

If I take and make an area in my cooler that will allow me to fit a thermocouple between my heat sink base and the top of the cpu lid and I get a meter reading of 25 under full stable load and 5 at idle. That is all I need to know about a temperature. If I see my meter reading going beyond 25 then I am warmer than normal. The non-disabled CPU overheat circuit will keep the cpu from burning up and I know what my normal reading that I interploate as a temp is when stable and there it is job done. Now onto computering.

Most of the links below lead also to information from AMD in one form or another. Toward the end of one of those links there is a cute little trick for those with an open area under the motherboard where the cpu sits. I think a couple of earlier BD users have found that trick already for lower temp readings.

Anyway some good reading from mid to late 2011 right on up into 2012.

AMD Temp Information and Guide

We've had a few great threads recently where members contacted AMD and asked what temps they should be

looking at,

About 1090T temps by
Alex Cromwell
Senior Technology Director
Advanced Micro Devices
Fort Collins, Colorado
2950 East Harmony Road
Suite 300
Fort Collins, CO
80528-9558

straight from AMD... The correct temp to read for your processor

Best regards,